Question miniATX MB for an Intel build?

Mar 31, 2020
I put a build together and got an ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac board DOA. They're not letting me RMA it yet and their customer service doesn't have a great reputation, so I figured I'd look into a new board. ITX was too small, but my case doesn't support full ATX so I'll split the difference and go with the miniATX.

Any recommendations? I'm willing to spend for something good as I'd like this to last a long time. Part list below. Many thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K

Case: NZXT H400i MicroATX Mini Tower Case

Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

SSD: Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 2TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-P

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler

I have nearly the exact same build except I am using the H400 instead of the H400i, and my 2080 Ti is from Zotac instead.

Have you considered the MSI MPG Z390m Gaming Edge AC? That is the motherboard that I am using. I am not overclocking though so if that is a priority maybe more research is warranted on the motherboards. But as for the motherboards itself, it has a pretty good build quality and comes with a lot of good extras.

Reactions: TheBeesDees
Mar 31, 2020
Wow, that is a great build! I honestly wish I would've looked at it before I started mine.

That seems to be a solid board, and if it works for you I'd think it'd work for me too. Actually not planning to overclock it; its for my little brother and I specifically built something with good components so that he wouldn't have to mess with overclocking. The only thing I'm worried about are the big heatsinks on the board just because my CPU cooler is pretty big. Are any of those able to be removed?

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: ArchitSahu
Wow, that is a great build! I honestly wish I would've looked at it before I started mine.

That seems to be a solid board, and if it works for you I'd think it'd work for me too. Actually not planning to overclock it; its for my little brother and I specifically built something with good components so that he wouldn't have to mess with overclocking. The only thing I'm worried about are the big heatsinks on the board just because my CPU cooler is pretty big. Are any of those able to be removed?

Thanks for your help!
Your brother is getting a pretty beast of a system, you are a pretty great sibling.

The RAM clearance with my H100i was actually pretty fine, but I did need to rotate the part of the AIO that touches the CPU because some of the tubings did cover some channels of RAM. So, for your Noctua, I would check if that will not be an issue for you because air coolers cannot be rotated in case RAM clearance is an issue.

You might want to know that temps may be an issue with this case, although, you are running an air cooler so you may be fine. Mounting a rad to the top of the case, it is extremely hard to do so in the H400 so I had no choice but to mount it to the front. So it was pulling in air from the front and at the same time pulling in hot air from the rad. This led to pretty hot temps.

BUT, you are using an air cooler so that should be fine.

The MSI motherboard I use only has 3 fan headers for system fans, so if you want to fill out the 2 fans at the front, the 2 fans at the top and the 1 fan at the rear, I would either check that your case has an internal fan hub to connect all the sys fan to or get an internal fan hub.