Minimal pc specs for app development and vm

Exlord

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
Hi, I want to upgrade my workstation, so i need suggestion for pc parts.
Here what i need my new pc be able to do smoothly :

Run Windows8.1(maybe 10 in future) as primary OS

• ■ This OS will be running Visual Studio 2015 + the usual gang(Firefox, git, github win, notpad++, FDM, cmd, telegram, slack) and android/winphone emulator.
    ■ And Photoshop(sometimes :D)

Run Mac OS X(El Capitan) on VmWare.

• ■ This OS will be running Xamarin.ios and Xcode for compiling ios apps and ios emulator

So i need at least a quad core intel cpu with at least 2GH speed and VT support and a MB to go with that, preferably with USB3 and SATA3 support

The VGA should support at least 3 monitors. No gaming support needed but wouldn't heart to have full HD video playback support.

My laptop currently has 8GB RAM but Firefox and Phpstorm usually use about 50% of that and since the VM gana need at least 4GB RAM, so i am thinking 12 or 16GB RAM.
So 12 or 16GB, DDR3 or DDR4?

Unfortunately for now i have a limited budget so i need a bare minimum setup to get the job done for now.
So hit me with your suggestion for CPU / MB / VGA / RAM / PSU.

Tanks in Advance for your time and effort.

Solution
For me, I'd consider an AMD CPU (or wait for the new ones) - lots of real cores really help with VMs - I know the gaming-focussed people here will sneer at me, but it is one of the areas where a good 6 or 8 series AMD CPU can do a great job. Any GPU will deal with HD playback, but I would get a really cheap discrete one rather then rely on an on-die graphics solution just to make sure as much workload as possible is offloaded from the CPU architecture to leave processing for your dev environment + VM.
12GB will work, but for the very minimal cost increase, go for 16GB. As a Visual Studio developer myself, I know every GB helps once the projects start getting to a decent size and adding a VM? I'm lucky in that I have access to multiple VMWare servers for that job - definitely needs as much RAM as possible.

Exlord

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012

Tanx for the response, what about other parts? any suggestions ?

For me, I'd consider an AMD CPU (or wait for the new ones) - lots of real cores really help with VMs - I know the gaming-focussed people here will sneer at me, but it is one of the areas where a good 6 or 8 series AMD CPU can do a great job. Any GPU will deal with HD playback, but I would get a really cheap discrete one rather then rely on an on-die graphics solution just to make sure as much workload as possible is offloaded from the CPU architecture to leave processing for your dev environment + VM.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS