Question Minimum GPU for 4k video - no gaming.

derwood

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Hello Everyone,

I am finally retiring my old PC for a new shiny one, and I would like to make it my media machine. Unfortunately, the highest resolution the I5 processor I have is capable of is 1440 and I have a shiny new 4k TV. After much research, and reading a number of posts here, I am finding that everything I am finding is related to 4k gaming and that is not what I'm shooting for.

Machine specs:
Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 motherboard.
I5 2600k processor.
8 gb of ram.
onboard sound of course.

I'm keeping my 1070 for my new machine I just ordered the parts for, so I'm at a loss on what is the least costly solution to have 4k video. My current processor's onboard video is Intel HD Graphics 3000.

From other posts it looks like a Nvidia 1030 would do the job, but is that the least expensive option? My TV accepts HDMI 2, but not Displayport.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

derwood

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I have the i5 2500K (HD3000) on a HTPC and I could do 4K @ 30Hz.
The GT 710 2GB GDDR5 can do 4K @ 60hz
For Netflix 4K you will need a 1050 3GB or better.

Jojesa - So if I don't need 60hz the HD3000 can do 4k? I did see one post that talked about higher resolution at lower frame rates, but it was an older post regarding a different topic. I am only doing video which I believe is 29 fps. I have to ask, are you sure your getting 4k? I have had a bit of trouble confirming I was getting 1080 or 720 back in the day. My TV is only connected to the internet currently, so the only way I know I'm getting 4k is if my source reports 4k. The TV doesn't indicate the resolution like my old one did. When I changed sources between 720 and 1080 it would show it on screen.

Raerayu

Honorable
Nov 26, 2015
Jojesa - So if I don't need 60hz the HD3000 can do 4k? I did see one post that talked about higher resolution at lower frame rates, but it was an older post regarding a different topic. I am only doing video which I believe is 29 fps. I have to ask, are you sure your getting 4k? I have had a bit of trouble confirming I was getting 1080 or 720 back in the day. My TV is only connected to the internet currently, so the only way I know I'm getting 4k is if my source reports 4k. The TV doesn't indicate the resolution like my old one did. When I changed sources between 720 and 1080 it would show it on screen.
I'd just buy a 1030 or buy a 1050 if you wanna be certain.

SHMILY

Great
Mar 1, 2019
hswelectronics.com
Hello Everyone,

I am finally retiring my old PC for a new shiny one, and I would like to make it my media machine. Unfortunately, the highest resolution the I5 processor I have is capable of is 1440 and I have a shiny new 4k TV. After much research, and reading a number of posts here, I am finding that everything I am finding is related to 4k gaming and that is not what I'm shooting for.

Machine specs:
Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 motherboard.
I5 2600k processor.
8 gb of ram.
onboard sound of course.

I'm keeping my 1070 for my new machine I just ordered the parts for, so I'm at a loss on what is the least costly solution to have 4k video. My current processor's onboard video is Intel HD Graphics 3000.

From other posts it looks like a Nvidia 1030 would do the job, but is that the least expensive option? My TV accepts HDMI 2, but not Displayport.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.
I have the same Z68P-DS3 REV2.0 and using 3750s. So I could tell you that the HDMI on the mother board support 1080P (max). And you can consider rx550 with 4GB. I think it will support 4K and is cheaper than 1030 (in China).

derwood

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I have the same Z68P-DS3 REV2.0 and using 3750s. So I could tell you that the HDMI on the mother board support 1080P (max). And you can consider rx550 with 4GB. I think it will support 4K and is cheaper than 1030 (in China).
Thanks for the first hand experience SHMILY. Looks like I'll be getting a card then. I did some research and the 1030 will meet what I need. I already have an Nvidia card in this machine, so per other posts, I should probably stick with Nvidia to avoid driver issues and not having to do a complete wipe of my Nvidia drivers already on the machine. Supposedly, mixing Nvidia and AMD can get iffy.
Thanks again.

I can get 4k @ 30Hz over HDMI.
You need to use the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.
Select the Custom resolutions tab and enter the Width (3840), Height (2160) and Refresh rate* (30Hz) manually.
You might need to disable Interlace Mode.
Also, you might need to toggle Timing Standard (GTF, CVT-RB, etc) to one that will work with the refresh rate chosen.

SHMILY

Great
Mar 1, 2019
hswelectronics.com
Thanks for the first hand experience SHMILY. Looks like I'll be getting a card then. I did some research and the 1030 will meet what I need. I already have an Nvidia card in this machine, so per other posts, I should probably stick with Nvidia to avoid driver issues and not having to do a complete wipe of my Nvidia drivers already on the machine. Supposedly, mixing Nvidia and AMD can get iffy.
Thanks again.
You are welcome. I like Nvida too. Because it is friendly with many games. And 1030 only consume 30W. But my experience told me that HDMI CABLE can not support 4K well. Although HDMI 2.0 already support 4K. So I tend to chosse the graphic card with DP. And you can use apdater(dp to hdmi). My English is not so well, Sorry.