[SOLVED] Minimum spec of a CPU to handle two 3090 cards?

anonymous1000

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Can anyone tell me what is the minimum spec of a CPU to handle two 3090 cards without slowing them down? Is THREADRIPPER 1900X TR4 enough for the task?

How do I measure that to make enough headroom for more tasks that will run simultaneously?

Solution
It depends on your workflow.

For gaming, it does not make any sense. For 1080p-resolution, you will still run again in a cpu-bottleneck. For 4k and ultra settings, even older CPUs like 4770k or 4790k will be enough and you run into GPU-bottleneck again.

But remember, most games are using up to 8 cores at least, some of them even fewer. And some of them ( f.i. the FS 2020 from MS or far cry 5) do use too few threads and to much CPU in those few threats ( kind of bad programming style).

But if you are mainly using picture, video and audio-processing , eventually some deeplearning algorithm, that's different and depends heavily on the applications, you will use. Furtheron the mixing of above apps is important ( many at same time or one...
Why do you want 2 3090's?
Most of the games dont even support SLI,and im pretty sure that you cant SLI RTX 3090 anyway.
It would be a complete waste of money.
I personally think that you would be better off going with a 3900x or a 3950x than waisting 1500$ on another 3090.

alexbirdie

Respectable

For gaming, it does not make any sense. For 1080p-resolution, you will still run again in a cpu-bottleneck. For 4k and ultra settings, even older CPUs like 4770k or 4790k will be enough and you run into GPU-bottleneck again.

But remember, most games are using up to 8 cores at least, some of them even fewer. And some of them ( f.i. the FS 2020 from MS or far cry 5) do use too few threads and to much CPU in those few threats ( kind of bad programming style).

But if you are mainly using picture, video and audio-processing , eventually some deeplearning algorithm, that's different and depends heavily on the applications, you will use. Furtheron the mixing of above apps is important ( many at same time or one after the other etc. But I suppose, there can be found some reviews in the web about those apps.

For gaming only a 3950x ( or even a threadripper with more cores) will be a waste of money. But for professional apps those CPUs will be recommendable ( up to 3990x with 64 cores).

But that depends, how those apps are programmed and how the work is divided between CPU and GPU. Therefore without knowing exactly the apps you will use, there cannot be any absolut correct answer to your question.

Last edited:
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

But if you are mainly using picture, video and audio-processing , eventually some deeplearing algorithm, that's different and depends heavily on the applications, you will use. Furtheron the mixing of above apps is important ( many at same time or one after the other etc. But I suppose, there can be found some reviews in the web about those apps.

For gaming only a 3950x ( or even a threadripper with more cores) will be a waste of money. But for professional apps those CPUs will be recommendable ( up to 3990x with 64 cores).

But that depends, how those apps are programmed and how the work is divided between CPU and GPU. Therefore without knowing exactly the apps you will use, there cannot be any absolut correct answer to your question.
I have to agree with all of this.
It's all guessing without knowing what the heck the OP intends to do with this.

Details, details!