[SOLVED] Mining rig with leftover components

Davocles

Reputable
Jul 31, 2016
Hi, I was wondering if what remains of my old computer could be put into good use to make a mining rig with 3x AMD Radeon RX 480 GPUs
the components are:
- gigabyte GA-P55-US3L (rev. 2.0) motherboard https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P55-US3L-rev-20#ov it has 1 x PCI Express x1 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 and 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 so I assume all the gpus can fit with the need of just one riser?
-processor is intel core i3 540 with a stock cooler
-2x DDR3 2GB of ram (KINGSTON cl9 kvr1333d3n9)
-I have no idea what the psu is
So my questions are, can these base components support this kind of mining rig since from what I read online the processor does very little and you can get away with using an old one?
What kind of power supply would I need?
Will the cpu need additional cooling?
The old hdd is no longer there so can I run a linux based operating system from a thumbdrive or do you recommend getting an SSD with windows (ssds are pretty expensive so im trying to avoid that)?
Also compared to the standard mining board + celeron processor will there be a big difference in efficiency (this is an important question since I am already investing a lot in the gpus I don't want to cut corners if the efficiency is significantly lower)
*I'm thinking of mining etherium, but I don't really care about the specific cryptocurrency if something else is more efficient