[SOLVED] Mining rig

SetoKaiba2

Honorable
May 3, 2016
Hi guys, i am a noob to mining.. And i have a couple of questions, i am trying to build my first mining rig with the 3 cards i have:
RX470, RX460 & GTX1060.
i had the RX470 in one pc and the GTX1060 in another, they were mining for 3 weeks now, but i want to fit all 3 in one rig and use nicehash OS booting from usb drive. Meaning no HDD/SSD would be required right? So what about drivers? Are they not needed? And then i also want to connect a monitor which to what i can tell must be connected to the gpu riser that is in the 16x slot? Then which of the 3 gpu's do i connect to the 16x slot? And does the gpu in the 16x slot affect how well the rig mines?
Haha.. I am so confused about this, would have been easier if all the cards were the same.

Hope i made sense..
Thanx in advance.

Solution
You're going to need at least some knowledge of how to use the Linux terminal before you can really use the nicehash OS. You can follow guides, but they may not help you if you encounter issues.

If you use Windows for mining, I would suggest using the slowest hashrate card for the main display card, and since the cards only need a PCIE x1 connection to function, you can put the other cards in any available x16 slot. If your motherboard only has two x16 slots you will need a PCIE x1 riser adapter like this https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Powered-Adapter-Flexible-Extension/dp/B07QBF2X6C. Each one of those riser adapters will require it's own 6 pin GPU pcie power cable; never use molex or the sata power cable that comes with...
Hi guys, i am a noob to mining.. And i have a couple of questions, i am trying to build my first mining rig with the 3 cards i have:
RX470, RX460 & GTX1060.
i had the RX470 in one pc and the GTX1060 in another, they were mining for 3 weeks now, but i want to fit all 3 in one rig and use nicehash OS booting from usb drive. Meaning no HDD/SSD would be required right? So what about drivers? Are they not needed? And then i also want to connect a monitor which to what i can tell must be connected to the gpu riser that is in the 16x slot? Then which of the 3 gpu's do i connect to the 16x slot? And does the gpu in the 16x slot affect how well the rig mines?
Haha.. I am so confused about this, would have been easier if all the cards were the same.

Hope i made sense..
Thanx in advance.
You're going to need at least some knowledge of how to use the Linux terminal before you can really use the nicehash OS. You can follow guides, but they may not help you if you encounter issues.

If you use Windows for mining, I would suggest using the slowest hashrate card for the main display card, and since the cards only need a PCIE x1 connection to function, you can put the other cards in any available x16 slot. If your motherboard only has two x16 slots you will need a PCIE x1 riser adapter like this https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Powered-Adapter-Flexible-Extension/dp/B07QBF2X6C. Each one of those riser adapters will require it's own 6 pin GPU pcie power cable; never use molex or the sata power cable that comes with those adapters, only use 6 pin PCIE so you don't burn down your house. You will need to make sure your power supply has enough PCIe 6 or 6+2 pin power cables to power everything.

Lastly, you might need one or more HDMI dummy adapters/plugs if one or more cards are not being recognized by Windows. You will need at least one dummy adpter to run the system headless (no monitor) so you can access it over your network or internet.

SetoKaiba2

Honorable
May 3, 2016

If you use Windows for mining, I would suggest using the slowest hashrate card for the main display card, and since the cards only need a PCIE x1 connection to function, you can put the other cards in any available x16 slot. If your motherboard only has two x16 slots you will need a PCIE x1 riser adapter like this https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Powered-Adapter-Flexible-Extension/dp/B07QBF2X6C. Each one of those riser adapters will require it's own 6 pin GPU pcie power cable; never use molex or the sata power cable that comes with those adapters, only use 6 pin PCIE so you don't burn down your house. You will need to make sure your power supply has enough PCIe 6 or 6+2 pin power cables to power everything.

Lastly, you might need one or more HDMI dummy adapters/plugs if one or more cards are not being recognized by Windows. You will need at least one dummy adpter to run the system headless (no monitor) so you can access it over your network or internet.

Thank you, yes i have 3 risers for the cards, all 3 will be on risers. So if i need to put the slowest hash rate card in the 16x for the display that would be the RX 460.

Thank you for the info, i am going to try tonight and see what happens.

Oh, and yea, that sata to molex adapters i threw away.

Solution