[SOLVED] Mining with Rx 580 and Rx 480 but can't OC Memory

r.vartanyanov

Prominent
May 1, 2020
So I have a mining rig with 3 GPUs
MSI Z390 GAMING Plus
I3 9100F ( using the 580 card for monitor)
DeepCool DA700 Watt PSU

570 Micron , 580 and 480 both samsung

I get 570 to 2200 with 1150/950mV up to 31 mh/s with no bios modding /doesnt work on it.

but with 480 and 580 whatever i do I cant go past 2015mhz on memory, they dont crash but I use HwINFO64 and ti shows a TON of mem errors with just 20mhz up.
Both 480 and 580 run at around 75-80 watts after undervolting core clock.
Temps are at 67 at most.

They seem literally unable to be OCed, and I find it strange, i only Bios modded em with the "One time bios mod" thing from Polaris and I get 28 mh/s

What I find weird is that for example the 480 doesnt even work with the "One time bios mod" thing from Polaris I need to manually go and copy the 1750 to 2000 timings - only way it works.

Im Using the latest Amd drivers for 580 (i assume they are all the same for 400 500s)
Using the drivers to OC doesnt seem to be perfect cause they crash way too often, for example when im playing with fan curve ?! So im using OverdriveNTool 0.2.9. Used Afterburner before, but heard that you cant undervolt properly in it.
Tried the "special blockchain drivers" im not sure they are the best idea being 3+ years old. But honestly before that i had a 3060Ti and had 0 trouble, im thinking this is all cause of the baad bad drivers from AMD.
I've literally been testing whole 4 days. I up the memory - i get errors in HWinfo, a lot of errors.

So my main goal is to know why isnt memory being able to OC cause I see everyone reaching at least 30mh/s easy and say they go like 2150 on memory. Should I up the mem voltage ? Would it be worth it if power comsumption rises too much?

Solution
Yes the card must have dual bios... bios is basically a chip where all the necessary information for starting and running is stored (read from).
The card must have 2 bios chip's = dual bios.

If it has dual bios, it should have bios switch... and always one should be the default one, and the second one the modded one (vice versa..you should have one default for bad situations).

What brands are your cards?
Memory oc is usually done directly uploaded into the second bios (if the card has one!). It's the only way the card to be stable (this is not Nvidia), there are a lot of tutorials on the net, you should start reading even more and yes you have to play with the voltages as well. There is plenty of tutorials for bios uploading and ready settings, but it depends a lot on what memory you GPU has!

Also you have to run a lot of test and maybe reupload different settings till you find the best ones for you Memory, it's important the memory not to give any errors, because it will be super unstable and cause crashes and rejecting shares!
And yes some card even achieve 31-32Mh/s super stable!

About the drivers, i've used the blockchain one since day one (3 years ago).. so yes... for me at least it's the best one, it doesn't need to be newer, your not gonna play GTA 6 or 7 during mining!

r.vartanyanov

Prominent
May 1, 2020
That's something i've heard before, what doest it mean for a card to have second BIOS ? Does it need to have it from factory or can I "upload" second one? Is the second one somewho overriding the first ? What is the point of it ?

Yes the card must have dual bios... bios is basically a chip where all the necessary information for starting and running is stored (read from).
The card must have 2 bios chip's = dual bios.

If it has dual bios, it should have bios switch... and always one should be the default one, and the second one the modded one (vice versa..you should have one default for bad situations).

What brands are your cards?

Solution