Question Minor Upgrade, Or Save

Mrsteve4011

Commendable
Jan 19, 2021
Is it worthwhile to upgrade some of my old system, or do a completely new build. For a few years now, I have gotten mostly away from competitive multiplayer gaming due to having kiddos. So, I don’t need cutting edge tech, nor maxed out settings to enjoy games. Usually like to a mix of med to high settings at the least. I do intend to eventually buy newer AAA games (currently play Borderlands 2 & Smite)....just don‘t know what. I did notice when I played Resident Evil 7 (it would stutter a bit).

Current PC:
MB: Asrock Z77 Pro 4 LGA 1155
CPU: I5 3350P Ivy B.
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333
GPU: GTX 970

I was thinking of simply upgrading the CPU to a I7 2600K and adding another 8GB Ram. Waste of time, or will it be a decent little boost for now?

Thanks!
Steve

An i7-3770K would be your top potential CPU for that socket...(but I'd be leery of paying more than $10-$20 upgrading it, as, ultimately to play the newer games at 1080P, at some point, the whole rig will need replacement, as even the GTX970 is increasingly challenged at 1080P above medium levels of detail..

Mrsteve4011

Commendable
Jan 19, 2021
Thanks, I had figured it would probably be best to just do a complete overhaul minus SSDs/Optical Drive/Case. But, I had hoped I could get more use out of this rig.....now idk what to do with it when I do. Thanks again!