Mint 17.3 - Slow internet connection through LAN port

ecosvaldo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
On Friday (Sept 9), the motherboard on my main computer (ASRock Z77 Extreme4) crapped out on me. What I did was install my hard drives, Blu-ray drive and graphics card from there into my gaming PC (it houses a Gigabyte GA-H77-N WIFI motherboard) instead and reinstalled Mint 17.3 Mate.

When I started downloading the latest updates and software I noticed that my internet connection through my LAN port was running real slow (it reached 4KB/sec at one point). I thought there was something wrong with Comcast so I unplugged the modem and our wireless router for two minutes and plugged everything back in. I still had the same, slow connection. I plugged the cable in the other LAN port. Same connection speed. The internet connection for my other computers on my network\ run at the 100+ Mb/sec speed.

I also disabled my wireless connection (since I'm using an ethernet cable for internet). I made sure that nothing came loose when installing the hardware. Everything is fine. I even switched out the LAN cable, plugged my computer directly into my router, plugged it into my modem and surfed the net through a Mint Live CD/USB. I get the same slow connection.

So I reinstalled Mint 17.1 again (Cinnamon instead of MATE), downloaded the updates, upgraded to 17.3 and installed the Realtek 8111/8168/8411 driver (r8168-dkms). After all that I still get a slow internet connection. I don't know what to do!

Here's some info in case someone can help me (I removed my MAC addresses from this post):

http://pastebin.com/Af4kjnkq

ecosvaldo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008

Which drivers are you talking about specifically? If you're talking about the Realtek drivers, it's an up-to-date one (8.042.00). Plus, I have used Ubuntu before and don't like it one bit.

The drivers are in the kernel. Mint uses an older kernel and firmware. Easiest way to see if it is driver problem is to use latest ubuntu or whatever distribution that has a newer kernel/drivers. It's not really easy to update mint to newer kernel and firmware... Just boot from a livecd/usb and see if it suddenly starts to work

Btw mint IS based on ubuntu. You can also just use ubuntu with cinnamon, mate, gnome,xfce...

ecosvaldo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008

I tried a Live CD/USB of Ubuntu 16.04.1 and Mint 18. My internet connection was the same as it is right now (around 7-8 MBps; my speed should be at 100+ MBps). All the other computers (Windows 7) on my network connect to the internet at the advertised speed. I'm about ready to throw my computer out the window!

ecosvaldo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Well I feel like an idiot! I finally narrowed it down to what the problem was. My ethernet cable was giving out! All I did was switch it out with a new one and BAM! We're surfing and downloading at 100+ Mbps again. Who would have thought it was really that simple!