Miracast on Wired Connection to Wireless Network

sb1370

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2013
I could project my laptop screen on Windows 8.1 on my TV through the home wireless network.
Is it possible to do the same on my PC which is connected by a LAN cable to the same wireless network(by a wireless modem)?

Solution
miracast is pretty much a nonstandard wireless protocol. It is best to not even use the word wireless since most people think 802.11 wireless networks. You need a device both in your TV and PC that supports this. It is not just some application data that is being send over the standard networks it is a brand new form of network. This is the huge downside of this technology, rather than coexist with the current system it completely replaces it but does not support anything other than video streaming. I am going to bet even on devices this works on you can not stream data over the wireless at the same time you run normal things like surfing. This is very new technology so I suspect if it is to survive this issue will need to be...
Your router/modem would have to support the Miracast protocol and be able to act as a client. So far I have never seen a device that can do it. Of course you could likely use a wireless adapter on your PC with the proper software and it would work if you are close enough.

sb1370

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2013
I could miracast my laptop screen by connecting it and the TV to the Wireless router/modem. My PC has a wired LAN connection to that modem.
Any way to do miracast for my PC?

miracast is pretty much a nonstandard wireless protocol. It is best to not even use the word wireless since most people think 802.11 wireless networks. You need a device both in your TV and PC that supports this. It is not just some application data that is being send over the standard networks it is a brand new form of network. This is the huge downside of this technology, rather than coexist with the current system it completely replaces it but does not support anything other than video streaming. I am going to bet even on devices this works on you can not stream data over the wireless at the same time you run normal things like surfing. This is very new technology so I suspect if it is to survive this issue will need to be solved. As of today I have not heard anyway to do this without a radio in the device that is sending the data stream.

Solution