[SOLVED] Misidentified discrete graphics card

May 27, 2020
My laptop has an AMD Radeon 520 graphics card, but after updating the graphics driver it is identified as an AMD Radeon R5 M330. Before updating the driver it was correctly identified as a Radeon 520. Will this cause any issues or performance degradation?

Solution
After uninstalling the previous driver and installing the one from AMD's page it again identifies it as an R5 M330. Note that after I uninstalled the updated driver and reverted back to the original it showed the GPU as a Radeon 520 in device manager.

The more I look into it, the more I'm seeing a ton of people having the exact same issue as you. Everything from it's the same as the M330 to it's a re-branded earlier version of the Radeon 7750 GPU to it's the exact same chip as the 520 just shows differently as you update Windows &/or move to Win10.

Here is some more info that may clear it up some for you.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
My laptop has an AMD Radeon 520 graphics card, but after updating the graphics driver it is identified as an AMD Radeon R5 M330. Before updating the driver it was correctly identified as a Radeon 520. Will this cause any issues or performance degradation?

Hi @enjejes ,

Welcome to the forums!

This is an known issues with some AMD laptop GPU's. Did a quick search on AMD's forums and saw a few people with the same question as yours. Take a look here. Would advise you to download the drivers directly from your laptop makers website. From what I read on a few sites, the 520 & the M330 are basically the same in terms of performance though the 520's chip is clocked a little higher though since I do not have either, I cannot verify.

Whats the exact make & model of your laptop, we'll link to the correct drivers. As for any damage, there shouldn't be any other than possible performance issues due to being miss-labeled nad the incorrect drivers not offering optimal support.

Download GPU-Z and take a look at what it says you have.

Again, Welcome to the forums! :)

Edit: - AMD's official 520 drivers. Did you try these?

May 27, 2020
Did you try these?
Here for Win10

Let us know how it goes!
The newest one listed is "AMD/Intel Switchable Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1903)", but it doesn't seem to be compatible with my version of Windows 10, v1909. I get the error in the screenshot.
driver-error.png

Edit: I will try the driver from AMD's page you linked in your first reply. I somehow missed that.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020
Sounds good! Be sure to run DDU so that any left over display driver files are completely removed.

Keep us updated Please.
After uninstalling the previous driver and installing the one from AMD's page it again identifies it as an R5 M330. Note that after I uninstalled the updated driver and reverted back to the original it showed the GPU as a Radeon 520 in device manager.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

The more I look into it, the more I'm seeing a ton of people having the exact same issue as you. Everything from it's the same as the M330 to it's a re-branded earlier version of the Radeon 7750 GPU to it's the exact same chip as the 520 just shows differently as you update Windows &/or move to Win10.

Here is some more info that may clear it up some for you.

Solution