Question Misleading review? Acer XB273K

Apr 17, 2019
Hello!

EDIT: I misunderstood the bit where it said eschews so my bad. Now the only thing that surprizes me is the score which is 4.5/5 for this one and 4/5 for the XV273K which is the same display but with Full RGB (using 2 DP cables) and no Gsync module.

I am wondering if the review of the Acer Predator XB273K is misleading since the conclusion of the review mentions full array backlight as well as 1000 nits peak brightness which this monitor clearly does not have. Not to mention the fact that it only has 1 DP port which means that you need to sacrifice color in order to get 144Hz (chroma subsampling).

Or am i missing something here?

This is the review page: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/acer-predator-xb273k-4k-144hz-gaming-monitor-hdr,5998.html

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I am wondering if the review of the Acer Predator XB273K is misleading since the conclusion of the review mentions full array backlight as well as 1000 nits peak brightness which this monitor clearly does not have. Not to mention the fact that it only has 1 DP port which means that you need to sacrifice color in order to get 144Hz (chroma subsampling).
Where do you see it saying that? All I see on the last page is that it eschews 1000 nits/full array backlight.

It seems like it should be able to support 10 bpc 4:4:4 4K @ 144 Hz by using DSC (display stream compression)?
Edit: Actually, not sure if the monitors or even current graphics cards support DSC.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
Yes you are. That bit is referring to Acer Predator X27 and the monitor god, not XB273K.
Oh my bad. But that monitor is the exact same version as the Nitro XV273K except it has a Gsync module and it has only 1 DP so chroma subsampling at 144hz and it still got 4.5/5. The XV273K got 4/5

Apr 17, 2019
Where do you see it saying that? All I see on the last page is that it eschews 1000 nits/full array backlight.

It seems like it should be able to support 10 bpc 4:4:4 4K @ 144 Hz by using DSC (display stream compression)?
Yeah that was my bad. I read it wrong, but check my reply to the first guy where I mention that it's essentially the same as XV273K except its the gsync variant with 1dp.

TRENDING THREADS