Question Mismatched RAM frequency on ASUS TUF GAMING FX505DY

jcdumaguing226

Reputable
Jul 12, 2018
I recently got this laptop and decided to upgrade it to 8GB from 4GB because I dont have the money to afford a new 16GB kit. I was stupid though for not using the right tools in checking my existing DIMM. Task manager displayed my RAM as 2400 MHz which was odd because last time I checked the spec sheet of this laptop config, it listed 2666 MHz and did not have the time to double check since I was busy at work. I bought another 2400 4GB DDR4 Stick online when things at work were not that busy only to find out that CPU-Z lists my existing RAM as 2666 MHz . Will this actually work? I know in my previous Core i5-6200U laptop with mismatched memory would still work but this is an AMD Ryzen 5-3550H powered laptop.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It may work. Mixing memory makes/models can be problematic. For best results, you should install matched memory.

If it does work, it will very likely run at the lower speed of the 2 SODIMMs (2400 in this case). Your laptop should adjust this automatically should you install the additional memory you did purchase.