[SOLVED] Missed inputs when typing

Sep 18, 2021
Hi, I've got an emerging issue. Not sure what the cause is, but I'll put this thread in the Periphals forum, since it's manifesting when I type.

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
Intel i-7 4770 3.40 GHz
16GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 780
and some sort of ASUS keyboard, AK1D model I think?

What's happening is that every so often, while typing, inputs get "skipped". This includes both letter inputs, and non-letter inputs. I'm also noticing some other odd behavior, such as an inability to type capital q (via shif-q; capslock-Q works), highlight-selections of text with my mouse screwing up, commands mapped to F5 firing randomly in certain programs but not others, and occasionally, when I click on drives or folders in Explorer, the entire drive/folder name highlights itself and acts like I'm trying to rename it. (almost accidentally renamed my C drive last night)

I ran a couple AV scans with Security Essentials and Malwarebytes, but nothing was detected. No other visible problems than this.

Any idea what could be causing this behavior? Is it a keyboard issue (had this keyboard for >5 years now), or could it be something else?

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you try another keyboard and see if its hardware issue

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Sep 18, 2021
I don't have a spare keyboard available, sadly. Any recommendations on a nice, cheap one?

(also, something else I'm noticing: the programs on my Taskbar are blinking on and off occasionally. e.g. Firefox will disappear, then reappear a few seconds later.)