Question Missing 1 pin in 6 pin sata power cord is that normal and what cord do I need?

Jul 21, 2022
I am trying to upgrade my 6 pin to sata powercord and I'm noticing many are missing a pin unlike my current cord which has all 6. The new cord doesn't work on my dell 7020 optiplex desktop. I plug it in and connect my hard drive but my desktop will not boot with the new cord. What cord do I need to connect 2 hard drives using 1 cable?

Jul 21, 2022
Okay thank you. My desktop doesn't leave me with many options. I got a cord like that but there was not a spot to place it on the motherboard, I read sata to usb isn't good either, so what cord should I get? PCle seemed like my only option. The desktop I got from ebay had a SSD connected with 6pin to sata and I hadn't had any problems. Not sure if I try to connect 2 hard drives for a raid will that be doub,double, my chances of PCle not working for setting up a raid.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt a Dell Optiplex will support raid functions. Kind of useless anyway with SSDs, very rarely would you ever use that much data throughput and the DMI to the CPU would likely get saturated anyway.

I don't have the cable in front of me, so I can't tell you if they have added circuity to produce 5V, it is possible, a simple (and terrible) resister divider could do it. Or a ligthweight DC-DC buck converter.

There are two basic types of Dell. Stock ATX and OEM Proprietary.

A stock system with a normal 24-pin ATX power connector will have SATA power cables coming directly from the power supply. There you would attach the splitter if there aren't enough connectors.
Dell's proprietary OEM 12V only standard will have a 4-pin and 8-pin power 12V connectors to the motherboard. The motherboard will provide 12V, 5V, and 3.3V and have a SATA power cable plugged into the motherboard. You would be able to attach the splitter there.