[SOLVED] Missing BCD, OS still in tact.

Oct 18, 2020
View: https://i.imgur.com/82I7b50.jpg

Hello! I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remedy my problem. I'll go as far into detail as I can.

To start: Desktop-PC; I cannot boot into Windows 10 on my (sata) hard drive. I used to before until I started playing around with the partitions.
I originally used Windows 7 about 3-6 years until I heard about the free Windows 10 upgrade; so I made a copy of my Windows 7 OS on a separate partition. I also made another system restore partition just in case. The idea was to try out Windows 10 and if I didn't like it, I could go back to 7. I ended up liking 10!
I decided to move to an SSD (500gb), but it was much smaller than my HHD(1tb) because of the second partition. I did my best, but couldn't delete the Windows 7 partition. I could not format the win7 partition, I could only delete the files visible (and hidden), but the copying software still recognized an OS to also clone; and I only wanted to clone the 10os partition. I did try to make the win10 OS my primary OS to boot and m primary partition, but I must've failed somewhere. The Win10 partition does have a boot folder in the windows folder. I can still access the windows 10 partition and all my files (I installed a fresh OS on another HDD to try and fix my issue).

What I've tried: There isn't much I could do, so I'll keep it short as a list.
  • I've tried using a Windows 10 Pro iso (not sure what edition my win10 OS is using; I believe I upgraded from Ultimate?) I downloaded from the Microsoft website to boot into recovery mode. None of the recovery options could do anything to help other than running CMD. So from there...
  • I've tried many bootrec options: fixmbr, fixboot, scanos, buildbcd; and in the end I get "system device cannot be found" or "no access" or "The boot configuration data store cannot be opened. The requested system device cannot be found."
  • I formatted the Win 7 partition using the Win10 installer
  • I've used software booting from a USB to fix the mbr to no avail.

Things to note:
  • My OS hard drive was set to MBR (only 90% sure).
  • I don't believe I booted with UEFI- not sure.
  • While I plan on using my SSD as the main hard drive, I am open to re-installing Win10 if I can copy the programs and settings saved if possible (and although I don't think it'd be entirely possible, being able to restore my sata HDD would mean I can remember the options and everything I had set to).
  • I was given a free upgrade to Win 10, so I do not have a serial AFAIK when re-installing WIn10. (And on that note, I don't like connecting a live-account to my OS)

Appreciate the help

Solution
Ok - this should fix it.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
select partition 2
active
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s F:
Change boot settings in BIOS so 1TB drive is first in boot priority.

Note - to fix boot into windows 10, you have to use windows 10 installation media. It won't work with windows 7 installation media.
With only your system drive attached, can try from installer media cmd prompt, with correct partition chosen:
bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /fixBoot
bootrec /rebuildBCD
exit

If you have the ability to boot and check the drive from another install, you can try the program EasyBCD

Oct 18, 2020
Oct 18, 2020
With only your system drive attached, can try from installer media cmd prompt, with correct partition chosen:
bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /fixBoot
bootrec /rebuildBCD
exit

If you have the ability to boot and check the drive from another install, you can try the program EasyBCD
Hey there, cherry blossoms
I've already tried that to no avail. As for the software, I have not tried that. I went to the website and it said that EasyBCD will not help my issue, but to try out their other software, EasyRE. Did you mean that one?

Ok - this should fix it.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
select partition 2
active
exit

Note - to fix boot into windows 10, you have to use windows 10 installation media. It won't work with windows 7 installation media.

Reactions: embarassingmemory
Solution
Oct 18, 2020
Ok - this should fix it.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
select partition 2
active
exit

That did it! Thank you, SkyNetRising!
Would you recommend anything to prevent this issue from happening again? I am going to attempt to clone the HDD to the SSD. Should I also set the SSD to MBR since the HDD is also MBR?

Would you recommend anything to prevent this issue from happening again?
I am going to attempt to clone the HDD to the SSD. Should I also set the SSD to MBR since the HDD is also MBR?
Don't mess with partitions on random. Then this will not happen again. :)
If you're doing cloning, then source and target drives have to be in same partitioning scheme.

Reactions: embarassingmemory