[SOLVED] Missing boot mgr and not recognising CD player

Jun 21, 2020
I have a problem booting an old PC (it is about 8 years old) and I don't know what I am doing, and things have gone from bad to worse. I acquired the PC from a friend intending to do it up for my mother in law. The problems started when my friend removed the HDD hard drive and destroyed it. However, the computer was working great before he removed the HD. The machine was running windows vista 64.
I had a crazy idea that I would instal a version of Windows 7 I have on disk.

I bought a secondhand HD and tried to boot it up, but I was informed "missing boot mgr". Ok, so I thought, this makes sense, all I need to do it re-install windows vista using the CD drive, Unfortunately, the CD drive doesn't work and will never work. (scrap) I then thought I would be clever and use the CD drive from my main PC. I managed to download a bootable version of vista. I set it to boot from CD in the BIOS but it doesn't recognise the CD drive. The pen drive option is not possible either because, although, it has USB 2.0 ports I only have three options in the BIOS settings, Hard drive, floppy disk and CD. It does recognise the new HD though.

My last resort, is I am going to replace the CMOS battery tomorrow, but I tested it and it has plenty of juice left in it, although, not the full power. But I am clutching straws here I know.

Have I come to the end of the road? How can I make the machine recognise a CD drive? Does anyone have any ideas?

If I can get it going I would be in the Mother in Law's good books. So help would be appreciated.

Solution
I know it sounds vague, but I think I used Active ISO burner, I got rid of the programme after I had used it. Tbh, I was not very confident in the bootloader.
That's it. You can't make the bootloader just by "burn" the installer to the disc. You need more specific features so the bootloader can read by BIOS. If you want to make the bootloader (in the case you have to), use software called "POWER ISO", they are free, and they have feature "create bootable".

I'll get back to you after I have tried to instal it.
Will wait for next update.
What is you systems spec ?

I bought a secondhand HD and tried to boot it up, but I was informed "missing boot mgr"
yes, missing boot mgr appear because there is no windows installed.

I set it to boot from CD in the BIOS but it doesn't recognise the CD drive.
how do you make the bootable ? by the way you need dvd (4,7GB), since CD onlystore 700MB. the windows installer size must be over 700MB.

The pen drive option is not possible either because, although, it has USB 2.0 ports I only have three options in the BIOS settings, Hard drive, floppy disk and CD. It does recognise the new HD though.
Your pen drive will usually read as hardrive. But I need your spec to know if it possibly or not.

Jun 21, 2020
What is you systems spec ?

yes, missing boot mgr appear because there is no windows installed.

how do you make the bootable ? by the way you need dvd (4,7GB), since CD onlystore 700MB. the windows installer size must be over 700MB.

Your pen drive will usually read as hardrive. But I need your spec to know if it possibly or not.

Hi Gerald 6049

Thanks for your reply.
I don't have much info on the spec, but this is what I do have:

Motherboard - ASUS P5VD2-VM Si
Processor – Intel core2duo
HD – Samsung HD32

Also, I downloaded vista onto a DVD as a bootable copy but I don't know how reliable this is. However, I have an original windows 7 installation disk which I would like to use, but not dure if it would be compatible.

Thanks

Motherboard - ASUS P5VD2-VM Si
Processor – Intel core2duo
HD – Samsung HD32
This spec not really to old, this reliable for daily use. How much the RAM installed ?

However, I have an original windows 7 installation disk which I would like to use, but not dure if it would be compatible.
Sure it will, I have installed win 10 on Pentium E5700 before, also Core 2 Duo E8400. They run perfectly, just make sure they have at least 2 GB or more (I have 3GB).

Jun 21, 2020
Hi, Gerald6049.

I know it sounds vague, but I think I used Active ISO burner, I got rid of the programme after I had used it. Tbh, I was not very confident in the bootloader. However, you have pointed me in the right direction to use the Windows 7 installation disk. I bought it directly from Microsoft a few years back and then upgraded to Windows 10 in the days when Microsoft offered it for free. So the W7 is a perfect copy.

I just need to locate a good DVD player that I know works properly and try to instal it. After what you have said I think the boot disk I made or DVD player was not tip-top. Of course, I need to eliminate all the issues

Thanks for the tip about upgrading to 4GB RAM and you have given me some encouragement and confidence that it is not a hopeless project.

I know it sounds vague, but I think I used Active ISO burner, I got rid of the programme after I had used it. Tbh, I was not very confident in the bootloader.
That's it. You can't make the bootloader just by "burn" the installer to the disc. You need more specific features so the bootloader can read by BIOS. If you want to make the bootloader (in the case you have to), use software called "POWER ISO", they are free, and they have feature "create bootable".

Will wait for next update.

Solution
Jun 21, 2020
Hi Gerald6049

Success! I bought a new CD/DVD player for 15 euros, Asus 24D5MT, I recommend it for the price, but how often do we use a CD/DVD nowadays? Anyway, I plugged it in and the computer recognised it immediately so I popped in the W7 instal disk and it installed it without problems. I am really happy and my mum in law get a computer. I will try and upgrade it to 4GB Ram perhaps.

You have helped me a lot, it is the first time I have posted on Tom's Hardware. I think what is brilliant here is that you can talk to someone else about your project who understands what is going on. It is easy to go round in circles when you are just focused on a project with no other input.

Thanks again.

but how often do we use a CD/DVD nowadays?
Rarely, I have too, only for reinstall windows lol.

I am really happy and my mum in law get a computer.
Good for you bro

You have helped me a lot, it is the first time I have posted on Tom's Hardware. I think what is brilliant here is that you can talk to someone else about your project who understands what is going on. It is easy to go round in circles when you are just focused on a project with no other input.

Thanks again.
Yeah,it is good for sharing, You're welcome bro