Missing CD/DVD drive

Klayton303

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
So I just recently bought all the part for my pc. I built everything together with a NZXT mid tower S340 case. Since there is nowhere to put a CD/DVD drive, I have bought an external drive. I happened to find a Windows 7 professional 64bit disc laying around the office so I decided to use that instead of paying $100+ for an OS. I started installing it when all of a sudden a message popped up saying
"A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.
Note: If the windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step"
My question is can someone give me a step by step walkthrough on what to do? I am very confused & have been looking for a solution on how to fix it for a few hours now.

USAFRet

Titan

1. Plug it into a USB 2.0 port instead of a 3.0
2. You do realize that the $100 for the OS is not for the DVD, but rather for the license key. Right?

Klayton303

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016

There are only USB 3.0 ports on my tower as well as my motherboard. & I am confused about the license key. I'm not really too sure how the whole DVD & license key thing works. I've never had to do this before since I've always had everything pre-installed before

USAFRet

Titan

Windows is licensed software. You pay for the license, not the DVD.

Like the license plate on your car.
You're not paying for the hunk of metal, but rather the numbers on it.

So...when you eventually get to install that Windows 7, it will ask for a license key.
Which you don't have.
It will be letters and numbers, in the format of XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.
And you can't fake it.
With Win 7, you can delay entering that for 30 days. Then bad things happen.

If you had a valid license key, you could download the install ISO file from MS for free, and create your own DVD.
As you noted, a valid OS costs around $100.

Klayton303

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
Windows is licensed software. You pay for the license, not the DVD.

Like the license plate on your car.
You're not paying for the hunk of metal, but rather the numbers on it.

So...when you eventually get to install that Windows 7, it will ask for a license key.
Which you don't have.
It will be letters and numbers, in the format of XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.
And you can't fake it.
With Win 7, you can delay entering that for 30 days. Then bad things happen.

If you had a valid license key, you could download the install ISO file from MS for free, and create your own DVD.
As you noted, a valid OS costs around $100.[/quotemsg]

I do have a license key in the case. & I tried to download the ISO file but got quite confused with it & must have messed up somewhere as my computer could not find it when I plugged in the USB. So I'm looking for a step by step walkthrough on how to do this.