HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I am having trouble installing my hp psc 2410. Is it possible that the missing composite device are causing it? And if it is possible can I fix it? My hp installs up to where the usb is plugged in, then I get a message windows does not recognise the device. I am running windows xp sp3 on my system. If someone can help me, I will be very gratefull. I have no idea what to do any more. Hp try to help, but to no avail. Or should I say no luck. :fou:

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Yes I did. I have been struggling for months to fix this problem. Hp are trying to help me, But still no luck. I can not get the pc to recognise the hp. It will not print, scan or run any program that is printer related. My pc doesn't even show a icon for printer in printers and other hardware. I really don't know how to try to get this issue solved.

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

No I have the windows xp home edition and windows 98. I didn't try on the 98, but the home edition has the same result. I did check on the hp site if my Hp is having a problem, but according to hp there isn't a problem with my printer. I can't get the communication between the hp and windows to work.

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Thank You. That is what I am thinking. But I had problems installing the printer from the time I bought it. And that is quite a few years ago. I have changed the usb cables. So it can not be that. Which means it must be the printer. :sweat:

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Follow the instructions in this link and try to delete the device this way.
Often time when a driver doesnt install correctly it wont uninstall correctly either.
This will show all devices that have been hooked to the system past and present.
The past or unplugged devices will be light gray.
Delete all of the ones that you know wont be used anymore including the one that you are having trouble with.
Be certain that the device is unplugged (both plugs) and reboot.

Then try to install the software.

Other things to try that have helped me with USB problems.
Some times when it is time to introduce the device after driver install I have had to power on the device and then insert the USB plug. Other times I have had to do the opposite.

Also check your BIOS for USB settings. If the use legacy support is on try it with it off and vice versa.
Most times it should be on as most keyboards and mice want it that way.
Also in the BIOS if you have the option be sure that it is set to USB2 and be sure that with the manual you are using a USB2 connecton.
Some computers have both USB 1 and 2 connections. They look the same but the throughput is different.
USB2 devices will usually work in a USB1 connection but not the other way around.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

HJ Fritz

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Thank You. I will try it. :hello: