Missing disk space(not C)

AxeFace

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I'm using a laptop with win 10 the C drive is a 128gb ssd, the laptop comes with a 1tb hdd and i have another 4tb external hdd. Thing is my laptop's hdd(1tb one) is divided into 2 drives: D and E, with 558gb and 357gb respectively. Recently i noticed in the D partition the total of all files in the disk is only 202 gb but it shows only 337gb free space and when i right click the disk it shows that there's 221gb being used. I checked for hidden files, i don't think its virtual memory because i got it set at around 5128mb, recycle bin is empty and i got system protection unchecked, so where's the missing 19gb and what's it being used for? also there's no missing disk space from the E partition at all. I know 19gb is not all that much but i can't help to wonder where its gone to. If it were the C where windows is installed it might not be all that strange that disk space was missing but its not.

Solution
The "unknown" space is likely taken up by restore points (System Volume Information), which will always be shown as 0 bytes by WinDirStat, or any other tool, as that location is only accessible by SYSTEM.