Missing Disk Space

Hi everyone,

I am running Win2K SP4 on a 80GB HD.

A few days ago I had 36GB free and I installed a DVD copying system that
created about 4x4GB caches on the disk. When I ran the program it
immediately grabbed about 20GB and these appeard as hidden files on C:\. I
have since removed the software but the caches remained. I removed them
manually but Win2K doesn't seem to be reporting that the space is available
again?

If I open C:, select all (ctrl-a), right click and select properties, the
system (eventually) reports 38.9GB used (which is probably about right). If
I right click on the C "Local Drive" and select properties it reports that
54GB is used space. How can this be? Two different reports of used space?

I have tried defragment, chkdsk, Norton Speed Disk, Norton Disk Doctor but
none seem to recognise the problem.

So, is it me or has somebody pinched 20GB of my disk space?

Andy

awalker1 wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am running Win2K SP4 on a 80GB HD.
>
> A few days ago I had 36GB free and I installed a DVD copying system
> that created about 4x4GB caches on the disk. When I ran the program
> it immediately grabbed about 20GB and these appeard as hidden files
> on C:\. I have since removed the software but the caches remained.
> I removed them manually but Win2K doesn't seem to be reporting that
> the space is available again?
>
> If I open C:, select all (ctrl-a), right click and select properties,
> the system (eventually) reports 38.9GB used (which is probably about
> right). If I right click on the C "Local Drive" and select
> properties it reports that 54GB is used space. How can this be? Two
> different reports of used space?
>
> I have tried defragment, chkdsk, Norton Speed Disk, Norton Disk
> Doctor but none seem to recognise the problem.
>
> So, is it me or has somebody pinched 20GB of my disk space?
>

> Andy

Google for TreeSize Pro and download the eval - it will help you find out
what's what.