Is there any way of checking whether or not I've inadvertently deleted some
vital windows dll files whilst trying to rid myself of some viral menaces.

I know it's a silly thing to do but when you're in the heart of battle it's
not something you stop to think about.

Maybe a reinstall or summat? I've got XP SP1 on CD but I have upgraded to SP2.

What say you guys?

Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD drive.
Then go to Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter.
In the Command Prompt window type: SFC /SCANNOW
and hit enter.

Description of Windows XP System File Checker

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"bazeboiee" wrote:

| Is there any way of checking whether or not I've inadvertently deleted some
| vital windows dll files whilst trying to rid myself of some viral menaces.
|
| I know it's a silly thing to do but when you're in the heart of battle it's
| not something you stop to think about.
|
| Maybe a reinstall or summat? I've got XP SP1 on CD but I have upgraded to SP2.
|
| What say you guys?

Hi

From Start>Run type

sfc /scannow

Please note the space between the c and /. You may need to have your XP CD
to hand. This will check the system files on your system.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"bazeboiee" <bazeboiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way of checking whether or not I've inadvertently deleted
> some
> vital windows dll files whilst trying to rid myself of some viral menaces.
>
> I know it's a silly thing to do but when you're in the heart of battle
> it's
> not something you stop to think about.
>
> Maybe a reinstall or summat? I've got XP SP1 on CD but I have upgraded to
> SP2.
>
> What say you guys?

map

"bazeboiee" wrote:

> Is there any way of checking whether or not I've inadvertently deleted some
> vital windows dll files whilst trying to rid myself of some viral menaces.
>
> I know it's a silly thing to do but when you're in the heart of battle it's
> not something you stop to think about.
>
> Maybe a reinstall or summat? I've got XP SP1 on CD but I have upgraded to SP2.
>
> What say you guys?

As others here have suggested sfc /scannow,
However since you have installed SP2 and your cd is SP1 you will have to
create a "new"cd slipped streamed with SP2 for this to work....OR
change the "source path" for the system file checker in the registry.
Instructions for doing this can be found here:
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html#
under step...2
Good Luck.