Missing files on my external hard disk. PLEASE HELP!

endofworld

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I have a Seagate FreeAgent Go 500 GB external hard disk. Yesterday i copied about 10 files into the hard disk, totaling to about 7 GB from a Windows XP desktop but when i plugged it into my laptop running windows 7, the files were missing! I connected it back to the Windows XP desktop and the files were still missing. I selected "show hidden files/folders", "show protected operating system files" on both the computers but to no avail. The free space on the hard disk indicates the files are still present on the hard drive. I scanned for viruses and malware and the disk and the systems are clean. I ran HDTune and the hard disk is OK(no bad sectors). I then decided to use data recovery tools, and scanned the hard disk using R-Studio and GetDataBack. Both tools showed the missing files in the drive and I recovered them and backed them up. However I am unable to delete these files from the hard disk since both the recovery tools don't give me an option to remove the files from within the software. I tried using TreeSize to check if i could access the files and delete them, but even TreeSize does not show me the missing files. I am in a dilemma and running out of disk space. Please help me!

yasir siddiqui

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
I thought there is usb port problem or hdd problem and may be you have ejected your hdd before files are copied,

so copy files again form another usb port and if you face that problem again then go to shopkeeper and replace your drive.

endofworld

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

They are rar files. I think it is a file system corruption. Nothing much can be done except copy my data onto another drive and format and clean this one up.

endofworld

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

No, the files were completely copied and the hard disk was ejected only after ensuring they were copied. No luck on replacing the drive, though. My hard disk is more then 2 years old and the warranty has long expired.

TRENDING THREADS