Dec 31, 2020
I have a GTX 770 but it's missing the gpu bracket. I don't want to install it in case I damage the pci-e slot from it sagging. Is there a way this can be fixed?

Solution
Ok, that's easy. Order the part now, and just use the gpu with the Diablo holding it up for now, and pray it holds for the month.
Ok thanks, one last thing. The dvi port coming from the gpu is touching the case since there's no support bracket. Can that cause a electrical discharge since it's not grounded to the case with that i/o shield for the gpu?
There's a ground wire inside the dvi, several of them. So that's not an issue. The end bracket acts as a ground path for any rfi (radio frequency interference) that might hit the outer jacket/shield.

So it's highly unlikely to see any esd from that as the shielding is also grounded at the monitor.
Dec 31, 2020
Most gpu’s don’t come with gpu brackets. I doubt it will be a problem, there are some very heavy triple or even quad slot gpu’s that don’t have additional brackets.
Every gpu I've bought came with brackets/ io shields so idk why you say that. The pci-e slot is what I'm worried about breaking, so do you think zip tying it would work fine?

Every gpu I've bought came with brackets/ io shields so idk why you say that. The pci-e slot is what I'm worried about breaking, so do you think zip tying it would work fine?
When you say bracket I am thinking additional support, I have never had a gpu come with one. I have bought them separately, my very heavy 3080 didn’t come with one. However I think you might be talking about the cover where the display sockets are, can you clarify exactly what you are expecting/missing.

Dec 31, 2020
When you say bracket I am thinking additional support, I have never had a gpu come with one. I have bought them separately, my very heavy 3080 didn’t come with one. However I think you might be talking about the cover where the display sockets are, can you clarify exactly what you are expecting/missing.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about the cover where the display ports are that screws onto the case, that's missing.

Dec 31, 2020
Oh that, I thought you meant an anti sag bracket. I agree without that all weight will be on the pcie socket. As they are different for each gpu you would need to try and find an identical one. Otherwise see if you can rig some other support.
I'm unable to find another anywhere. What would you suggest I rig to support it?

One could likely fashion a replacement graphics card IO shield. Cutting slots out of a metal PCIe slot cover might be a bit challenging, but it seems like a cover cut out of a relatively thick, sturdy plastic would also probably work suitably enough. You would want to make sure it's something that's not going to bend over time though. Adding something like an anti-sag bracket, or even a makeshift one like the figurine previously mentioned, could also help reduce the weight pressing on a plastic IO shield.

As for a vertical mount, it probably wouldn't be ideal on its own, since without an IO shield to fasten it to the bracket properly, the card would still be balancing on the bracket's PCIe connector, with the weight of the cooler likely making it lean to one side. Also, I imagine you probably don't want to spend much on support hardware for a second-hand GTX 770 at this point.

You can literally put a million thing under the GPU. I was using a hard plastic cigarette holder under my GPU on my last build because the GPU was sagging and the bus was at x8 instead of x16.

It just need to not touch the fan and be solid enough that it doesn't just fly away at the lightest touch.

Dec 31, 2020
If you do prop it up, remember to do it gently or you could reverse bend the PCI port.
Yeah you put something exactly the height needed. The GPU should not be bending on the other side and stop exactly horizontally. Lots of stuff in a house in plastic that can probably fit there.
Ok thanks, one last thing. The dvi port coming from the gpu is touching the case since there's no support bracket. Can that cause a electrical discharge since it's not grounded to the case with that i/o shield for the gpu?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I like none of those options. The end bracket is pretty essential to securing the gpu into the pcie socket, the clip-tab does so on the other end. Not having the end bracket means the slightest bump on the pc and the weight of the gpu can pull it out of the socket and damage anything on the way down.

That gtx770 has a brand name and model. Contact the vendor and see if they can get a replacement.

Failing that, get an old card, busted, broken, doesn't matter and use the end bracket from that. It may require a little work with a dremel tool to cut the inside of the bracket to fit the ports, and a drill bit to line up new holes, but the end result is a gpu that's secure.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/121680584217
Something like this, but cut the insides out to fit as needed.

TRENDING THREADS