Missing HDD space, cannot find what is using it

HiFiSi

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
I have Vista home premium 32bit as an OEM install on a Dell XPS 420 with a 500GB main HDD

The HDD has 3 partitions on it:
System C: 450.71 GB NTFS (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
Recovery D: 15.00 GB NTFS (Primary Partition)
and a 55MB EISA partition

I was going through and cleaning up all of my HDD's and ran across something fishy on my main C: drive. In the disk manager and in the My Computer window it says that I am using @ 116 GB of space on this drive. That seemed to be well over the amount that it should be so I opened the C: drive, went into folder properties and turned off "hide protected system files" and "do not show hidden files" so that the window should show everything that is on that partition. I selected everything on the drive and looked at the properties of the selection and it says it is only 53.0 GB. Does anyone know where could this 63.0 GB worth of used space be coming from? I've been digging through folders and directories for a few hours now and have come up with nothing.

287pyly.jpg

HiFiSi

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Yep, that was the problem. Cleared out all but the latest system restore, and now am down to 44.6 GB from 116 GB on the C drive.

Start > disk cleanup (in search bar) > C: > More Options tab > Clean up system restore

Now that I've done it I think I went through this same exact thing a while back and forgot about it... heh

thanks ijack