[SOLVED] Missing M.2 connector. Can I install one?

halcyonparade

Commendable
Feb 11, 2021
Below is an image of my motherboard (ASUS G11CD). I noticed it says M.2 at the bottom left, so I was thinking of getting a M.2 SSD for it. But it doesn't have the connector for it. So my first question is: Would it be possible to install an M.2 connector? If so, how does one go about it? Is it as simple as screwing one on? Searching "M.2 connector" into online stores shows no results so I don't even know if it's possible to get one.

Second question: If the M.2 connector isn't possible, then would it be wise to plug an SSD into the PCI-e x1 slot (either PCIe SSD or a M.2 fit into an adapter)?

s-l1600.jpg

Solution
No, you cannot add an M.2 slot. That there's something printed on the PCB doesn't mean you can; motherboard manufacturers use a single PCB for multiple SKUs. This appears to be the base version of their H110I motherboard, which does not have support for an M.2 slot. It just means there's a better, more expensive motherboard of this form factor in their H110 series that has this support.

Adapters tend to be terrible ideas and a pain in the butt to get them to boot. The best solution would be a more traditional SATA SSD. Quite honestly, the difference in speed in most types of workloads have minimal real-world impact.

DSzymborski

Titan
No, you cannot add an M.2 slot. That there's something printed on the PCB doesn't mean you can; motherboard manufacturers use a single PCB for multiple SKUs. This appears to be the base version of their H110I motherboard, which does not have support for an M.2 slot. It just means there's a better, more expensive motherboard of this form factor in their H110 series that has this support.

Adapters tend to be terrible ideas and a pain in the butt to get them to boot. The best solution would be a more traditional SATA SSD. Quite honestly, the difference in speed in most types of workloads have minimal real-world impact.

Reactions: Quanticriver
Solution
Only if you are ready to solder in other M.2 related components (absent on this board) and patch BIOS to enable M.2 support on this board. In short - don't bother and use SATA SSD instead.

With adapter he can use M.2 drive as secondary drive. But yes, if he don't have the M.2 drive yet, he should not bother about it.