missing mbr is more frequent with SSD disks?

decubamd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I have several computers with a SSD , and on most of them i have got prpblems with the message ; MBR is missing , after it happpened to me 5 times and on different pc , i am beginning to get the idea that the SSD is the culprit . ; i am beginning to reinstall my pc with the same OS , be it wind 7 or 10 but on a normal sata drive to chk the difference.

Solution

No, it is not more frequent with SSD's.
I too have several systems with 1 or more SSD's, and have seen that exactly zero times.

USAFRet

Titan

No, it is not more frequent with SSD's.
I too have several systems with 1 or more SSD's, and have seen that exactly zero times.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from decubamd : "missing mbr is more frequent with SSD disks?"

+1 USAFRet

While you could certainly have a defective SSD or be running your SSD using problematic firmware, SSDs lend themselves to being generally more reliable than spinning platter media drives unless abused.

Sounds like you have other issues that are affecting your MBR. I would certainly look into the software that's being run on the machines with MBR errors, the SSD firmware, and perhaps the reliability of the connections to your boot SSDs.

Something else to check, if you have more than one permanent storage drive attached to a Windows machine during install, it's possible that Windows installer will place boot files on a secondary disc without your knowledge. If the secondary drive becomes for any reason detached before the boot process, you might be mistakenly attributing the failure to an SSD that is actually not involved in the problem.

The above is the reason it is recommended to disconnect any non-essential permanent storage drives during Windows installation.