Missing Mouse Pointer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JimmyStephans

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Hello,

On a new build with Windows 7 Pro (SP1) my mouse pointer disappears after the machine sits a few minutes unused.

Gigabyte UD MB
i7 3930
32GB ram
ATI Video card
WD Raptor HD

Everything is brand new. All drivers are up to date, Win7 all updates.

Nothing else installed. No software, no printers, its all brand new.

Issue happens with various "mice".

Example:

MS Intelle Mouse model X802382 issue happens. I can right click and menus come up, just no mouse pointer n screen unless I CTRL-ALT-DEL, then pointer comes back.

MS Model X800472, same story.

Kensington K72213, same issue.

same with other models of the mouse.

It even continues during change - meaning, happening with one mouse, I unplug that mouse, plug in a new mouse of different model number, Windows installs drivers for new mouse (balloon in lower right), yet still no mouse pointer.

Issue happens with generic mouse drivers or the full package from Windows Update.

boulder-christine

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
I do tech support at a large company and have a user experiencing this issue. Restarting has fixed the issue in the past, so has reinstalling drivers or so it seems. But the issue continues to return. Opening Task Manager worked to get it back without rebooting for a while and when that stopped working, Start - Run did. (Thanks for the suggestions). She is on an HP laptop running Windows 7. Seeing how long this issue has been open, I'm not very hopeful this can be resolved without reimaging the computer.

azulbears

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
As soon as I updated the graphics driver for my NVIDIA card all the multicolored/invisible mouse disappearing while typing etc problems disappeared. It was NOT a mouse pointer problem, NOT uncheck the hide cursor while typing or any other Microsoft issues (for a change). Try updating your graphics drivers. Thanks you.

ellipsis7

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
SOLVED DISAPPEARING MOUSE ISSUE! Since I'm a systems/tech dummy, I asked my son, who is the expert and here's the solution that finally worked - NO NEED TO DO ANYTHING ELSE: Press Cntl, Alt + Delete, click 'Task Manager', open up running processes and more than likely your browser is at the very top of the list. Next, make sure browser is highlighted, then 'End Process'. Firefox should quit working and will disappear. Next, click on Firefox logo and all your windows will now start popping up in succession (Click 'Restore Last Session', if this applies). ALL your windows will show, including the 'Tab' that's causing the erratic mouse issues. You'll notice that your cursor is now stable and not erratic - magic. **DO NOT OPEN ALL YOUR TABS QUITE YET**. Instead, click on a tab of a trusted site you browse frequently and have never had issues with, like an online banking site (a secure website) - this will be your 'Home Base'. Now, open each tab, in succession, each time clicking back to your 'trusted site'. As you skip, then open each tab, eventually you'll notice that your cursor is blinking erratically. We call this a process of elimination. Lastly, DELETE the 'Tab' that you now know is causing all the problems: That's because the problematic site 'runs' constant and continual background activity, like ads, 'cookies' etc. You're issue is now fixed! Couple things to Note: 1) Just know that if you decide to open the problem site again, your cursor may start to give you problems, once again; 2) Your cursor may continue to act up if you have more than 1 problem site. Have a good day.

Andrew Angelo

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014
Hey this also happened to me.. I tried enabling mouse trail and set to short to disable person annoy (xD) but yes I tried it, it worked.. though my problem is my video card driver....

NathanWin7

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
In Start Menu -> Search box type : "regedit".

Select "regedit".

Allow "regedit".

Go to : HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Control Panel -> Desktop

Find : ForegroundFlashCount.

Right-Click : on ForegroundFlashCount.

Left-Click : "Modify...".

Left-Click :"Decimal".

In the field "Value data" type : 700000000

Left-Click : "OK".

Then :

Find : ForegroundLockTimeout. (just below ForegroundFlashCount)

Right-Click : on ForegroundLockTimeout.

Left-Click : "Modify...".

Left-Click :"Decimal".
In the field "Value data" type : 4000000000

Left-Click : "OK".

What the latter does? It delays the focus on your current active window of that much in seconds 4000000000.

Why does it happen? It happens when installing new softwares and/or in case of viruses - malwares. Thoroughly SCAN FOR VIRUSES and DO A SOFTWARE CHECK before applying this method.

Cheers.

D Lane

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
go to control panel, ease of access, ease of access center, make keyboard easier to use. Under Control The Mouse With Keyboad check the box next to turn on mouse keys. This forces the pointer to reappear for me, no other solutions worked

MortimerSnerd

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
I know this doesn't apply here but I had a similar problem. Rebooting or unplugging the mouse restored the pointer for a while. Replacing the mouse solved the issue. I was lucky but it took me a couple of weeks to figure it out.

peggyd626

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
I wish I had a solution. I have tried most of the suggestions. Pressing ctrl did NOTHING. When mine disappears there is a shadow of it sometimes and others it just freezes. In both cases I have to restart to get it to appear again. I have gone in and adjusted all things mouse related. I am running Windows 7 on an HP (older) laptop. It is very irritating!

PCZombie

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014

This just happen to me. Fixed it buy going to control panel opening mouse click pointers tab click normal select pointer choose new picture click ok click apply

Karl_Swan

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
i know this is several years old, but your "pointer trails" solution just saved my ass on a Windows 10 machine that hid the mouse pointer after a videocard update. thanks a million