Question Missing operating system

Dec 8, 2019
I am fixing/formatting my flash drive using command prompt but I didn't notice that I chose my disk. Now it prompted something saying it failed becausw of booting something I can't remember. So I open uo file managee and can't find my D: drive. Also my game crashed, I tried running my game again which is installed on my D: drive so I thought it can resolve by restarting my pc but now I can't boot my pc. It only shows Missing operating system. Can you guys helo me, what can I do? Please I need your help ASAP

cruck nova

Reputable
May 5, 2020
According to me you have to install the windows again on your hard drive. or after booting to the usb with windows 10 click on repair, it will find the problem and automatically fix it. now when we talk about your hard drive D: it must have been formatted or not showing the disk. so after the windows boots up open disk manager and click on your hard drive d: and create a new partition and try to recover data

Dec 8, 2019
According to me you have to install the windows again on your hard drive. or after booting to the usb with windows 10 click on repair, it will find the problem and automatically fix it. now when we talk about your hard drive D: it must have been formatted or not showing the disk. so after the windows boots up open disk manager and click on your hard drive d: and create a new partition and try to recover data
I don't have a booting drive atm. Can I use my phone to create a booting drive and transfer it to a flashdrive using a otg?

Dec 8, 2019
Hang on....before you go too far down this road, a bit of info first.

C and D. Were these 2 physical drives, or partitions on one drive?
I think partition? Tbh I don't know what that means but I have installed a 1tb hard drive and it shows 500gb on c (named system reserved) and 500gb on d drive (named new volume), after I accidentally chose 0 instead of 1 which is the flash drive. The new volume drive is missing and game crashed.

Am I understanding this correctly? Your system currently is unbootable. Right?

Can you boot from Windows installation media into command prompt and show screenshot with output of these commands:
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume

Dec 8, 2019

Can you boot from Windows installation media into command prompt and show screenshot with output of these commands:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
How can I access the command propt? Whenever I turn on my pc gigabyte logo appears and after the logo a messages appears "missing operating system" at top left corner.

Dec 8, 2019

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
Hi, I just got my booting drive. View: http://imgur.com/a/D4VmAHP
I don't know how to screenshot and upload it with my computer, so I just took a picture of the output.

Last edited:
Execute these commands and show screenshot of the result:

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 2
delete partition override
create partition primary size=500
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot E:\windows /s H:
bcdboot F:\windows /s H:

(Last command probably will give error, but that's ok)

Dec 8, 2019

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 2
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=H
exit

View: https://imgur.com/a/sVwwmLa

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/G88YKZr

Dec 8, 2019

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 2
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=H
exit

what should I do next?

Looks like you
I am fixing/formatting my flash drive using command prompt but I didn't notice that I chose my disk. Now it prompted something saying it failed becausw of booting something I can't remember. So I open uo file managee and can't find my D: drive. Also my game crashed, I tried running my game again which is installed on my D: drive so I thought it can resolve by restarting my pc but now I can't boot my pc. It only shows Missing operating system. Can you guys helo me, what can I do? Please I need your help ASAP

If you don't want to start over with just a clean Windows setup you should get someone that knows computers well (not just a friend that plays games on their system, I mean a real IT person) and have them check on this. From reading the posts you are more likely to cause more issues, or at least not getting anything to a working state. You also need a working computer to create boot media and maybe try to recover your files with.

Chances are good that whatever is on the system is gone and you may as well just start clean. Best idea is to remove this drive, buy a new one and install Windows on that one so you are not messing with anything on your current drive in case someone can get to your files on it at some point. Without a second system and/or a second drive you are not going to get anywhere here. After this start making backups of your files to online storage or a backup disk.

Dec 8, 2019
Looks like you

If you don't want to start over with just a clean Windows setup you should get someone that knows computers well (not just a friend that plays games on their system, I mean a real IT person) and have them check on this. From reading the posts you are more likely to cause more issues, or at least not getting anything to a working state. You also need a working computer to create boot media and maybe try to recover your files with.

Chances are good that whatever is on the system is gone and you may as well just start clean. Best idea is to remove this drive, buy a new one and install Windows on that one so you are not messing with anything on your current drive in case someone can get to your files on it at some point. Without a second system and/or a second drive you are not going to get anywhere here. After this start making backups of your files to online storage or a backup disk.
Thank you for your response, I made my mind to just start all over again but when I was about to install windows with my USB drive, I receive first a blue screen massage that says
'RECOVERY Your PC/Device needs to be repaired' and after a while it just shut down, so I boot up my computer again and the "Install" windows actually pop out but after clicking Install and after a moment of "starting set up" a message prompted saying 'A media driver your computer need is missing' so I went to google and search for answer but I can't find answer to solve my problem. So I just didn't touch my computer again since I can't do anything to fix it. I think it is because of my flash drive but I'll just go to a technician to repair it for me. But I still want to know what you think since I need to pay a technician to repair my computer that I can fix probably. I just want to save money, If you think there's nothing I can do at this point but go to someone that do really know about computer stuffs, let me know.

Last edited: