missing or corrupt

I recieve the following message "Windows could not start because the
following file is corrupt or missing: \windows\system32\config\system "
The only help from the manufacturer of my laptop (HP) was the recovery CD.
It would be catastrophic if I lose all my data.
Thank You in advance,
Jeff L.

Read the following HP article thoroughly, then follow
the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
recovery operation.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Jeff L." wrote:

|I recieve the following message "Windows could not start because the
| following file is corrupt or missing: \windows\system32\config\system "
| The only help from the manufacturer of my laptop (HP) was the recovery CD.
| It would be catastrophic if I lose all my data.
| Thank You in advance,
| Jeff L.

Please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307545
for more information

--
===============================
Smallfrogs [MS MVP]

"{USER_FIRSTNAME} {USER_LASTNAME}" <jefflawton@earthlink.net> wrote in
message news:uSqLKjGrEHA.3488@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>I recieve the following message "Windows could not start because the
> following file is corrupt or missing: \windows\system32\config\system "
> The only help from the manufacturer of my laptop (HP) was the recovery CD.
> It would be catastrophic if I lose all my data.
> Thank You in advance,
> Jeff L.

There's an easier way - try this:

Start - Run - type in SFC /SCANNOW
Follow instructions. When asked for disc, use XP recovery disc.

This worked fine for me and avoided all the messing about with registry
settings etc.

Cheers,

Pete
London