Hi;

I Installed second hard disk and format it and saved some file in there.
After I Installed SP2, this partition disappeared! even bios can not see
that. any idea?

Thnaks for your help,
Faram.

Hi there;

Thanks for your respond;

Disk management shows just C: partition and no D: and E: which is CD Drive.
Motherboard is ABIT BD7 and I did not update the driver. CMOS just shows
None for primary slave HDD and CD Drive. I will try to check manufacture to
see if I can find updates.

Reagards,
Faram.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Faram.
>
> SP2 has no way to effect the BIOS. However, some BIOSes have trouble
> dealing with SP2. Intel's Prescott CPUs might need an updated BIOS; perhaps
> other mobo/CPU/chipset combinations also require a BIOS update. Have you
> checked with the manufacturer of your mobo?
>
> As for your "disappeared" volume, what does Disk Management say about the
> volume and that second HDD?
>
> Has the second HDD been disabled in the CMOS? In some cases, even if the
> HDD and/or its controller is disabled in CMOS, WinXP can still see and work
> with it.
>
> If you mention the make and model of your hardware, someone here might
> recognize it and know how to deal with this problem.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Faram" <Faram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi;
> >
> > I Installed second hard disk and format it and saved some file in there.
> > After I Installed SP2, this partition disappeared! even bios can not see
> > that. any idea?
> >
> > Thnaks for your help,
> > Faram.

Check your IDE connector and make sure it is fully connected and the jumper
on the drive, else the drive died. Make sure it is powered up also.

> Hi there;
>
> Thanks for your respond;
>
> Disk management shows just C: partition and no D: and E: which is CD
Drive.
> Motherboard is ABIT BD7 and I did not update the driver. CMOS just shows
> None for primary slave HDD and CD Drive. I will try to check manufacture
> see if I can find updates.
>
> Reagards,
> Faram.
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
> > Hi, Faram.
> >
> > SP2 has no way to effect the BIOS. However, some BIOSes have trouble
> > dealing with SP2. Intel's Prescott CPUs might need an updated BIOS;
perhaps
> > other mobo/CPU/chipset combinations also require a BIOS update. Have
you
> > checked with the manufacturer of your mobo?
> >
> > As for your "disappeared" volume, what does Disk Management say about
the
> > volume and that second HDD?
> >
> > Has the second HDD been disabled in the CMOS? In some cases, even if
the
> > HDD and/or its controller is disabled in CMOS, WinXP can still see and
work
> > with it.
> >
> > If you mention the make and model of your hardware, someone here might
> > recognize it and know how to deal with this problem.
> >
> > RC
> > --
> > R. C. White, CPA
> > San Marcos, TX
> > rc@corridor.net
> > Microsoft Windows MVP
> >
> > "Faram" <Faram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi;
> > >
> > > I Installed second hard disk and format it and saved some file in
there.
> > > After I Installed SP2, this partition disappeared! even bios can not
see
> > > that. any idea?
> > >
> > > Thnaks for your help,
> > > Faram.

Might also try just your hard drive and the slave, (take out the cd drive).
Try a different cable.

"Faram" <Faram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi;
>
> I Installed second hard disk and format it and saved some file in there.
> After I Installed SP2, this partition disappeared! even bios can not see
> that. any idea?
>
> Thnaks for your help,
> Faram.

If the BIOS can't see thee HD, it's either dead, mis-jumpered or not
connected (or a flaky connection). Check cables, wlook what it's set up in
BIOS to be (type? auto or manually cyl/head/sec)...

Windows has no way of seeing that HD if BIOS can't see it.

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Faram" <Faram@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä