Question Missing shortcuts/directory links/icons/dlls after Windows 10 upgrade.

Jul 4, 2020
So. I've been running unactivated Windows 7 with a 1TB HDD on my PC for a LONNG time. I finally cracked and decided to buy a real version of Windows 10 and a new SSD as my computer was slowing down. I didn't want to lose any files, so I cloned my HDD onto my SSD before installing Windows 10 there. Here's where the problems start. When i get on my desktop for the first time, I notice that at least half the icons that were there previously have been turned into generic .exe icons or blank white icons. "No biggie, I thought, I'll just run the programs once and they'll sync up." In some cases that was all it took, run the program once and it turns out fine. For most of them however, it gives me an error message, says program not found or just deletes the icon without a prompt. If I try to boot up a game, most times it will say one or more DLLs are missing, or that the folder for the game can't be found. If this was an isolated incident it wouldn't be a problem, I'd just reinstall whatever it is that isn't working correctly and be done with it. However the problem seems to be everywhere and running programs like CCleaner doesn't seem to help. The whole point of cloning my original HDD was to not go through issues like this. I thought that maybe this was a directory problem, as when I originally cloned my SSD it was assigned the (F) label. Now the SSD is (C) and my HDD is (P). Otherwise I have no real idea what to do except booting back up on my Windows 7 HDD and wiping the SSD to start from scratch. If anyone has any advice or has encountered this problem before I'd be very grateful, I'm trying very hard to not lose any data, as I have a terabyte of files, programs and such that I've accumulated over 6 years that would be a pain to replace.

TL; DR
I cloned my HDD->SSD, installed windows onto the SSD and now a bunch of programs and directories don't work.

Any help or advice much appreciated, I can also link screenshots and files as needed.

Edit: added screenshot of diskmanagement
w2k1IMG.png

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?
How many drives in the system? Just one HDD and one SSD?
Did the problem exist when booting from cloned SSD before upgrade to windows 10?
Just the two drives in the system, the SSD and the HDD. I wasn't rigorous enough to boot my computer from the clone before upgrading to windows 10. Image of disk management below
w2k1IMG.png

Jul 4, 2020
As requested above, a screencap of your Disk Management window.

Through this whole process, were both drives connected all the time?
I disconnected my old drive before upgrading to windows 10, and have since reconnected it. Disk management pic should be posted now

So C: - is new SSD and P: is old HDD. Correct?

Your drive C: has more free space than on P: .
I'd imagine it to have less free space, if you had windows 7 there and upgraded to windows 10 (unless you did some cleanup and deleted remains of old windows 7 (c:\windows.old)).

Jul 4, 2020
So C: - is new SSD and P: is old HDD. Correct?

Your drive C: has more free space than on P: .
I'd imagine it to have less free space, if you had windows 7 there and upgraded to windows 10 (unless you did some cleanup and deleted remains of old windows 7 (c:\windows.old)).
C: is the new SSD yes and P: is the old. I haven't removed (c:\windows.old) on C: . There was a lag of a week or so between when I cloned the drive and when I upgraded the OS, during which I may installed a game or two. That would account for the discrepancy. I didn't think that would change anything. Let me know if I'm wrong though. At this point I'm considering booting up the old windows 7, wiping the SSD and starting over, as long as it doesn't cause issues with the Windows Product Key.