[SOLVED] Missing Storage Space?

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Hello, I have a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB and its showing that I am using 765GB of the 930GB capacity, the issue is when I use WinDirStat it tells me I'm only using ~530GB so I am wondering where that extra ~230GB has gone, I know some applications and games use more storage then the actual size of the game although I don't know the term for that.

Anyways I'm just wondering if I'm being stupid, missing something or if this is something I can fix / Improve, the drive itself is around 1.5 years old mostly at 60-70% capacity.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello, I have a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB and its showing that I am using 765GB of the 930GB capacity, the issue is when I use WinDirStat it tells me I'm only using ~530GB so I am wondering where that extra ~230GB has gone
Windirstat has to be launched with administrative privileges.
It can't count files, it has no access to.

That storage capacity could be used by system restore points. Normally you do not have access to those files.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, I have a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB and its showing that I am using 765GB of the 930GB capacity, the issue is when I use WinDirStat it tells me I'm only using ~530GB so I am wondering where that extra ~230GB has gone, I know some applications and games use more storage then the actual size of the game although I don't know the term for that.

Anyways I'm just wondering if I'm being stupid, missing something or if this is something I can fix / Improve, the drive itself is around 1.5 years old mostly at 60-70% capacity.

Thanks in advance.
Please show us the output of the WinDirStat window
(upload to imgur.com, post the link here)

Also, what is telling you "I am using 765GB of the 930GB"
Post a screencap of that as well.

Hello, I have a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB and its showing that I am using 765GB of the 930GB capacity, the issue is when I use WinDirStat it tells me I'm only using ~530GB so I am wondering where that extra ~230GB has gone
Windirstat has to be launched with administrative privileges.
It can't count files, it has no access to.

That storage capacity could be used by system restore points. Normally you do not have access to those files.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks in advance.
Are your running winDirStat as admin ?

USAFRet

Titan
Indeed.

This is my C drive, WinDirStat.
Admin and Not Admin
30GB difference

JCmqcG6.jpg

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Thanks to all who pointed out the obvious that I wasn't running WinDirStat in Admin lol, That worked and I found the missing 200GB, funnily enough the whole 200GB was MSIXVC which is Microsoft's Installer for what is "Xbox Virtual Console."

Again thanks to you all for the help and for making me a little smarter.