Jan 31, 2022
I've been trying to run a game I was gifted (Monster Hunter: Rise) yet the in game models are broken. After talking with support they believe the issue is that my GPU is not supplying enough VRAM thus the models cannot load. The game requires 1.9 GB to run at minimum settings. My GPU has 2 GB of dedicated RAM. The game claims I only have 1.7 GB available. What could be using up the other 0.3 GB of VRAM? Is this being used up by the OS effectively making it unavailable? If this is the case would it be possible to run Windows 10 on integrated graphics and run games on the GPU to free up memory. I know my GPU is old and frankly in need of replacement, however that isn't an option for me at the moment. If I cant run the game that's fine, I would just like to understand what is happening and whether I have any options.

Solution
The game requires 1.9 GB to run at minimum settings. My GPU has 2 GB of dedicated RAM. The game claims I only have 1.7 GB available. What could be using up the other 0.3 GB of VRAM?
Back when I was still using my HD5770 on Windows 8, I often had 300+MB in-use by the OS itself, rendering many games unplayable due to running out of VRAM, not sure there is anything you can do about it. Making Windows use the IGP by default could be problematic as games may end up wanting to use the IGP by default too. Also, if the WIndows desktop is rendered by the IGP, games that are in non-exclusive window mode will have their output piped to the IGP to inject them in the desktop rendering before outputs get fed back to the GPU for output to...
Jan 31, 2022
I've been trying to run a game I was gifted (Monster Hunter: Rise) yet the in game models are broken. After talking with support they believe the issue is that my GPU is not supplying enough VRAM thus the models cannot load. The game requires 1.9 GB to run at minimum settings. My GPU has 2 GB of dedicated RAM. The game claims I only have 1.7 GB available. What could be using up the other 0.3 GB of VRAM? Is this being used up by the OS effectively making it unavailable? If this is the case would it be possible to run Windows 10 on integrated graphics and run games on the GPU to free up memory. I know my GPU is old and frankly in need of replacement, however that isn't an option for me at the moment. If I cant run the game that's fine, I would just like to understand what is happening and whether I have any options.
what is this gpu?
already running at the lowest detail? test running at lower resolution?
if there isn't enough vram, usually the game will use slower system ram as temp
Oh sorry I thought I had inlcuded that it's a Nvidia GTX 760. I have also tried a lower resolution, but it didn't help.

InvalidError

Titan
The game requires 1.9 GB to run at minimum settings. My GPU has 2 GB of dedicated RAM. The game claims I only have 1.7 GB available. What could be using up the other 0.3 GB of VRAM?
Back when I was still using my HD5770 on Windows 8, I often had 300+MB in-use by the OS itself, rendering many games unplayable due to running out of VRAM, not sure there is anything you can do about it. Making Windows use the IGP by default could be problematic as games may end up wanting to use the IGP by default too. Also, if the WIndows desktop is rendered by the IGP, games that are in non-exclusive window mode will have their output piped to the IGP to inject them in the desktop rendering before outputs get fed back to the GPU for output to monitors which will add some lag.

Solution