Question Mission Impossible: Win 7 to Win 7 connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingElephants

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Okay computer wizards, I have to most confusing, abosoulty impossible question for you

all.

Warning: Not for the faint of heart.

This newest cluster frig of a problem sounds simple, yet no one seems to know how to do

this so far.

I have 2 windows 7 professional computers, both exactly the same. Right down to the

nuts and bolts. let's say they are stock computers from

anyfrigginwindows7computerland.com

I have taken a ethernet cable, slammed into one, then fisted it into the other machine.
After wacking both with hammers and replaceing a few keyboards I have the ability to

make both computers share files with each other.

But here is the problem, the pc to pc connection in my network and shareing center via

cable is set to "unidentified network" and under that, "public Network"

I would like to change that public to private, so only the 2 computers can communitcate

with each other, not with the outside world.

after watching a few videos online, I right click the file, go to properties. Click the

sharning tab, any my other computer is not there. matter of fact there seems to be no

way to select my other computer in any option. But the shared folders works. How do I

fix this?

if not possible set up 2 home networks on windows 7?

friggin mcdonalds and compines can do it. they have computers that all have internet

and all the computers are linked togter, yet a hobo with a phone can just walk up and

join thier network without a password. How do I set up something like that? I wanna

play checkers with myself using 2 diffrent computers.

What more did you do than just plug a cable between the 2 machines. Did you configure anything like ip addresses etc.
It would be much easier to do this with a home router you just do not connect to the internet. Your other option is to learn to setup all the nic setting manually.

DancingElephants

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Yes, i set them both to thier own IP. Thanks for telling me that. I still have this problem, here's what i'm talking about in steps:

Steps:
1. I right click the folder i'd like to share.
2.I click Properties.
3.I click on sharing tab.
4.I click share.
5. The other computer's name does not show up.

Problem 2:
2.I click Properties.
4.I click Advanced sharing.
5. I click premissions.
6.The other computer's name does not show up.

Problem 3:

Problem 1 has my computer, Homegroup and everyone as a option to share with. Problem 2 has everyone as the only option to share with. I want the computers only to share with each other, I want their name to show up on both options. NOT everyone. How do I fix that?

You really need to use a switch to connect those computers, preferably with a SOHO router to provide DHCP services to that subnet. Back to back configurations using a crossover cable for connecting two computers is an old hack we would do when troubleshooting stuff and shouldn't be used in any real configuration.

Steps:
2.I click Properties.
4.I click share.
5. The other computer's name does not show up.
And it won't. It is not supposed to. It doesn't work like that.
You do not have a domain/active directory.
You can share to local users only.
The solution is, to make local users on both computers the same - same usernames, same passwords.
For example: PC1 - user1/user1password, PC2 - user2/user2password.
Create the same user2/user2password in PC1 and create the same user1/user1password in PC2.
Now you can share folders to the other user over network.
Problem 2:
2.I click Properties.
4.I click Advanced sharing.
5. I click premissions.
6.The other computer's name does not show up.
Again - it won't. It is not supposed to.
Problem 3:
Problem 1 has my computer, Homegroup and everyone as a option to share with.
Problem 2 has everyone as the only option to share with.
I want the computers only to share with each other, I want their name to show up on both options. NOT everyone. How do I fix that?
If you have 2 computers connected by a single ethernet cable (and they are not connected to anything else),
then they can't share anything to anyone else but themselves.

DancingElephants

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Thanks everyone. I have many routers available, what method involved those and does it answer my questions. SkyNet Rising is there a video online detailing what you answered? I would like to try that.

You can't use a regular ethernet cable for this.

You have to use a CROSSOVER CABLE or an Ethernet Switch.

Then you can manually set the IP address of both computers to something different and they'll be able to transfer files.

But it easiest to just use a cheap router with a DHCP server and simply not connect the WAN port to anything.

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor
You can't use a regular ethernet cable for this.

You have to use a CROSSOVER CABLE or an Ethernet Switch.

Then you can manually set the IP address of both computers to something different and they'll be able to transfer files.

But it easiest to just use a cheap router with a DHCP server and simply not connect the WAN port to anything.
Part of the spec for gigabit ports is that they ALL support auto sensing. Crossover cables are not required for port-port connections unless one or more are of the older 100MBit variety. Manually assign 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 with 255.255.255.0 netmask (no gateway required) and all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.