Mistake to get a Viewsonic E90?

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I just got a Viewsonic E90 19" along with some other parts for a new computer. Was originally planning on an Optiquest Q95, but at the last moment, I switched the items on Newegg and went with Viewsonic. Good or bad idea? I'm disappointed by the resolution and refresh rate of the E90, but it runs reliably at 1280 x 1024 32 bits with 75Hz, supports up to 90 at that resolution I think...

"When there's a will, there's a way."

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
You do know that optiquest is a viewsonic and represents the budget range? Your e series is probably better than the optiquest you wish you had chosen!

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Since when was Optiquest a sub section of Viewsonic??? I never knew that!

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Yeah, it's just a line from viewsonic (has always been as far as I know). Check out the webpage. I have 19in optiquest at work. It's okay as far as curved shadow masks go for general use, but at close glance the pixels squirm. Generally, the specs (dot pitch and maybe resolution and refresh) are not as good as the e series. Both the e and optiquest are value oriented. Actually, viewsonic is more value oriented than sony, nec-mitsubishi, eizo, etc.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
It's the same monitor almost 100%, optiquest is the budget line, you find the same thing under similar numbering as Viewsonic. You can try and see which one is the better one, but they're way too similar, might comes down to looks over performance. <A HREF="http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_e90.htm" target="_new">E90</A> and <A HREF="http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_q95.htm" target="_new">Q95</A>

I have an eye on those monitors too, also the samsung 955DF got a .20, but with lower refresh. Hard to pick the right one when you're on a budget. :)

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Hmm...well, I really like the thing, even if it's value oriented. Very good for gaming, not too much pitch, good refresh rates (I usually play 1280x1024 at 75hz). Very inexpensive for 19 inch.

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I have a Viewsonic A70f and love it. But, that might be because I replaced my HP 15" monitor with it. Sometimes I wish I went ahead and got the 19". Oh well, this one will do for now.

<font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>

dju4beum

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2002
i just got one too.. i have like wave looking things in the top right corner when put on blue screen.. do u guys know if its the monitor or video?

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
it could be moire patterns or purity. I know one of the windows wallpapers is composed of fine dots or lines (blue) in which moire is made visible. If it's purity, then any blue screen no matter the image composition will show the problem. If you don't have a purity control or it is not fixable, then return the defective monitor. If it's moire, you'll just have to live with it by avoiding pinstripe and dotted images if you can't adjust for it. Moire is actually good thing as it means your monitor has great focus. Moire reduction actually lowers focus by increasing beam size. It shouldn't be a problem unless you work with high rez repeating patterns.

briapro

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
I have an A70f and like it too. Be careful what you clean it with! Don't use anything amonia. The coating will come off. Don't make the mistake I did.

:wink: You knew this job was dangerous when you took it Fred. :cool: