Question Mistakes were.....made? Help!?

Sep 3, 2019
2
1
15
0
Hi guys,

I'll make this short.

I bought a CPU. I am applying the heatsink and too much air got to it in the process of installing the massive NH-D15.

So I started again. This is where the mistakes happened....

-Used kitchen towel (not LINT free) as it was the only thing I had and was not near a store.
-Used Whiskey to remove the compound and that worked but colleagues later then told me that wasn't a great idea

Made sure the CPU was nice and dry before reapplying and it looked pretty clear after I was done with it.... then everything went smoothly after applying heatsink for a second time. The build was great and looked great. Bios loaded up and we're ready to rock. My colleagues have just recommended that I stress test it and see how it goes.

I have not gone further than the bios but I am planning on installing windows today.

Overall opinions? Should I get the legit stuff and reapply once more or should I just see how it goes?
 
Last edited:
Reactions: valeman2012
The problem with whiskey is that it might/will leave sugars behind, if you thoroughly wiped it dry you'll be OK. Similar with non lint free, it can leave fibres, again check. The difference between a really bad installation and a good installation might be 2-3C, assuming there is thermal paste. I wouldn't be too concerned. Just watch the temps over time in case there is an odd reaction between residue and the paste.
 
Reactions: MaximumMalarkey
Sep 3, 2019
2
1
15
0
The problem with whiskey is that it might/will leave sugars behind, if you thoroughly wiped it dry you'll be OK. Similar with non lint free, it can leave fibres, again check. The difference between a really bad installation and a good installation might be 2-3C, assuming there is thermal paste. I wouldn't be too concerned. Just watch the temps over time in case there is an odd reaction between residue and the paste.
Thank you so much for the prompt response and advise!
 
Hi guys,

I'll make this short.

I bought a CPU. I am applying the heatsink and too much air got to it in the process of installing the massive NH-D15.

So I started again. This is where the mistakes happened....

-Used kitchen towel (not LINT free) as it was the only thing I had and was not near a store.
-Used Whiskey to remove the compound and that worked but colleagues later then told me that wasn't a great idea

Made sure the CPU was nice and dry before reapplying and it looked pretty clear after I was done with it.... then everything went smoothly after applying heatsink for a second time. The build was great and looked great. Bios loaded up and we're ready to rock. My colleagues have just recommended that I stress test it and see how it goes.

I have not gone further than the bios but I am planning on installing windows today.

Overall opinions? Should I get the legit stuff and reapply once more or should I just see how it goes?
The answer depends... if it was anything like a 50 year Glenfiddich you really ought to take yourself out to be shot.

If it was Jack Daniels Black label I hope you enjoyed the rest of it after.

If it was a cheap rotgut then you're probably OK. That stuff is mostly methanol anyway: a great industrial solvent and evaporates quickly. Just keep it off the plastic parts cause it could dissolve anything of organic origin.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS