MIT Professor: Windows 8 is Xmas Gift for Someone You Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
While I agree that Windows 8 has problems and understand that Microsoft is a key player in the tech industry, I simply do not understand the point of this article. This tiny snippet of opinion, by a relatively obscure MIT professor, is what makes for news in Tom's now? :( This is more like the showbiz segment in primetime news.

xurwin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
as a matter of fact, windows 8 is not that bad. need some time to get use to it. also windows 8 has the fastest boot time. i would gladly accept one too. just the metro ui is annoying but still it looks like windows 7 with a new start screen. a dumb one for desktop. its much better on touchscreens. but hey it still is good. its not that bad

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Win 8 is still Windows and is as such an evolution of the previous iterations. Some aspects have been fine tuned compared to 7, just as 7 did with features from XP / Vista.

Case in point: I just bought a Creative wp-350 Bluetooth Headset. I have not been able to use the headset mic under 7, no matter how much I tried, the BT stack just doesn't activate the function and "Recording devices" does not show the BT hardware. So the VoIP functions were a bust. Win 8 just does that seamlessly and with no headaches. As of yet, I haven't found any show stoppers in 8 - that doesn't mean I'm not searching. :p

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I've read the actual article even that was pretty pointless he kept comparing Win 8 to iOS, Android, Win 7, OSX, and kept trying to state that it should be more like those. It's not it's win8 if you want one of the other operating systems you use it but win8 is something different and he couldn't get that past himself. That was he major grip he didn't want to learn a new OS, there was actually nothing of actual value in the article from what I recall that gave me the impression that it was anything other than someone getting out their anger.

And for the record he tested it out on a high end desktop which he states at the end of his anger filled rant.

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
I really don't give a ***t about Windows 8, MS can sell it to whoever wants to buy it, I'm good with Windows 7, Linux and Android. An XP VM is also still very nice to have, especially in Linux.
While I could probably get used to and maybe even like Windows 8 I see no reason whatsoever to try it out. Only thing good I've heard about it is the faster boot but .... I rarely boot into Windows anyway and I can get a SSD to fast boot into both Windows and Linux.

G

Windows 8 isn't all that different. I bought it, and installed it, expecting it to be totally disorienting, after all I heard, but is not. It should have been called "Windows 7.1". It really isn't all that different.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
after installing the START BUTTON right after installing the OS, Windows 8 looks and behaves just like Windows 7. I only saw the stupid tiles ONCE and never again after installing the START BUTTON.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Greenspun also chastised media for given Windows 8 positive reviews: "My theory is that journalists love anything new, different, and complicated. Windows 8 is all of those things." The only positive note was given to "some of the supplied apps", which "are wonderful".

Which is generally true, especially of you.

But i think criticizing Win 8 on tablets is a bit unfair, though i'll have to read his post.

arnoldlouie

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I hope people that hate me reads this article. To the author Wolfgang Gruener, i would assume you are going to receive a lot of windows 8 tablets..lol

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I just read the thing. What he's said is mostly valid/makes sense. He's using a Dell AIO. Plus he's a computer science prof, that too in MIT, his views are likely to be harsh towards something that's not well designed. After all, how an enthusiast, programmer and a standard consumer will evaluate software is likely to be very different. He doesn't appear to be a fanboy, he seems to have used Windows for a long time, and worked/used android and iOS. For someone like him, i understand his position.

There were a few things that he seemed to have misunderstood, which have been adressed in the comments below.

Wolfgang seems to be butt-hurt about his closing comments, but unfortunately for Wolfgang, what the prof. says is true.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
With $15 and $30 price + many ways to bypass the need for an original Windows 7 key, I can understand the positive feedback.
Now the negative is going to take the driver's seat and I really really want to see Microsoft increasing the price. It is going to be FUN.

suture

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
He's like my oldman when i gave him the first nokia phone with a small colored screen a few years ago.
- "this is too complicated to handle". he said.

Its different but its still good. So live with it.
Most ppl are so boring they cant even accept a slight change in their lives.

zzz_b

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I think MS did not do the right thing with RT. Why is the OS 16GB big? :O
iOS and Android do the same thing and what is the size of thoe OS'? Less than a 1GB!

I guess the code must be very inneficient, as everything from MS.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]zzz_b[/nom]I think MS did not do the right thing with RT. Why is the OS 16GB big? iOS and Android do the same thing and what is the size of thoe OS'? Less than a 1GB!I guess the code must be very inneficient, as everything from MS.[/citation]
Because it is compatible with 420,000,000+ devices out of the box

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
On a side note, statistically, soon after windows 8 came out, the largest group of app purchasers was people around 55 years old. Apparently, it's only jarring to tech enthusiasts. XD (if you haven't figured it out, I have it on my lappy and desktop and love it)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]suture[/nom]He's like my oldman when i gave him the first nokia phone with a small colored screen a few years ago.- "this is too complicated to handle". he said.Its different but its still good. So live with it.Most ppl are so boring they cant even accept a slight change in their lives.[/citation]
I'm 19, i didn't like it.

Why live with it? Is it free? No. If i'm a paying customer i should get what i want, not what's forced on me.
The reason Bioware tried to fix ME3's ending IS BECAUSE people protested, and didn't live with it.

[citation][nom]zzz_b[/nom]I think MS did not do the right thing with RT. Why is the OS 16GB big? iOS and Android do the same thing and what is the size of thoe OS'? Less than a 1GB!I guess the code must be very inneficient, as everything from MS.[/citation]
It's 12GB with programs and all. The size of iOS is NOT less than 1GB, the size of the DOWNLOAD is less than 1GB. Lol man even windows XP had a smaller size than iOS, if you start equating the setup files to the full installed size.

dgingeri

Distinguished

1. it includes drivers for a lot more hardware than iOS supports, which instantly makes it superior to iOS. I don't want to be stuck with whatever the hardware vendor decides I need. I'm the one who decides what I need.

2. it does a heck of a lot more than iOS. It's a full featured OS, not a tuned back tablet OS that just does tablet things. Windows 8 is a lot more than a stupid phone OS that has been upsized a little to fit a bigger screen.

I happen to have Windows 8 on my desktop right now, without a touchscreen. There are a few things to get used to, but it's not too bad, really. It boots up faster and has better security than Win 7, and it's a heck of a lot better than Windows XP. After using it for a month, I'd call it equal to Win 7 overall. Anyone who calls it "Xmas Gift for Someone You Hate" hasn't actually used it. They're obviously prejudiced. (Meaning just as ignorant and obstinate as Skinheads or Black Panthers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.