MIT Researchers Invent Diode For Light in Optical Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I saw the link and thought it would be cool to see a picture of one of these "diode's." That was the only reason I clicked the link. I then saw the picture of the enormous microscope and realized the absurdity of that first thought.

Also, any guesses on what's on that sticky note? I'm putting my money on "don't hit your head on this wheel."

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
In the end though they're still a LONG way off from doing anything close to optical computing. Hell there's still debate on whether it's even possible to use light to do anything practically useful for computing (other than move data around through fiber).

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]danraies[/nom]I saw the link and thought it would be cool to see a picture of one of these "diode's." That was the only reason I clicked the link. I then saw the picture of the enormous microscope and realized the absurdity of that first thought.Also, any guesses on what's on that sticky note? I'm putting my money on "don't hit your head on this wheel."[/citation]
It says, and I quote "Did you raise the heater ??"

snowpeak

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
This is for optical switches, not optical computing. If the technology can be made into an affordable real world device it would enable complete optical networking and allow some really high speed/high volume internet speeds. Right now all fiber optic cables lead to electronic switches (routers and such).

G

@snowpeak

a transistor is a switch of sorts, figure out how to make an optical switch is a step away from an optical transistor which is a step away from an optical CPU.....

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
... so... MIT invented the one-way mirror?

Think of all the applications for law enforcement! Of course, some TV show like CSI will show it before a practical version shows up in the real world.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]snowpeak[/nom]This is for optical switches, not optical computing. If the technology can be made into an affordable real world device it would enable complete optical networking and allow some really high speed/high volume internet speeds. Right now all fiber optic cables lead to electronic switches (routers and such).[/citation]
As much as know garnet is rather cheap mineral, I think that rings with stone of 2 carat weight go for $100-$150 depending on the metal of ring. So depending on other expenses it could lead to cheaper and faster products and higher availability of fiber optics based communication devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.