Mix and Match RAM

felixxkoehler

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
Hello,
I own the Gigabyte - GA-970A-UD3P Motherboard and 4GB (2x2GB) of DDR3 1600Mhz RAM (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9).
I was wondering if its possible to add a 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz (M2F8G64CB8HB5N-DI)

And if it would work, in which slot should I insert the single 8GB module.

Thanks for any help.

Solution
RAM can be very finicky. Mixing and Matching RAM does not always work. Even if you use RAM with the same model there can be issues. This is why RAM is sold in kits as the sticks are tested to work with each other. Also, you have a dual channel board, so it is best to use even number of sticks. Running an odd number of sticks may cause problems as well.

With that being said, it still may work, there is only one way to find out. I would just make sure that you buy the RAM from someone who accepts returns.
There is a chance that it will work just fine, but there are no guarantees, as always when mixing RAM.

Just put them all in and test, not only with memtest but also with gaming and so on. If it works fine, and no bsods or instability issues, great. But if you get issues, just leave a single stick of 8GB inside. You can then add another exact module for 16GB in total when required. Sell 2x2.

RAM can be very finicky. Mixing and Matching RAM does not always work. Even if you use RAM with the same model there can be issues. This is why RAM is sold in kits as the sticks are tested to work with each other. Also, you have a dual channel board, so it is best to use even number of sticks. Running an odd number of sticks may cause problems as well.

With that being said, it still may work, there is only one way to find out. I would just make sure that you buy the RAM from someone who accepts returns.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from felixxkoehler : "RAM Compatibility (mixing RAM)"