[SOLVED] Mix of different brand kit on motherboard ram slot

May 3, 2021
Hi, currently I have a motherboard model that is ASUS P5Q. And I have 4 stick of ram state below:-

Corsair DDR2 800MHz CL5 5-5-5-18
Corsair DDR2 800MHz CL5 5-5-5-18
Team Elite DDR2 800MHz CL5 5-5-5-15
Team Elite DDR2 800MHz CL5 5-5-5-15

May I know I want use this 4 stick of ram in dual channel mode, I should put the Corsair ram into A1 and B1 slot, Team Elite ram into A2 and B2 slot "OR" Corsair ram into A1 and A2 slot, Team Elite ram into B1 and B2 slot? Or I should put Team Elite ram into A1 and B1 OR A1 and A2 slot first because it have timing 5-5-5-15 faster than Corsair timing 5-5-5-18? Thank you.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The answer is do NOT mix and match sticks of ram. You're only going to end up with either grey hair or no hair on your head since you pulled them all off due to frustration. If you're looking at a ram upgrade, always look at the like you when buying a pair of shoes at the shoe shop. If you loose a shoe from your current pair, will you be able to buy one shoe, from the shop even if you have the same shoes on display? The answer there is no, you will need to buy a pair.

Either pick an all Team Group load out of a Corsair loadout, not mixing and matching. If you do mix and match, all sticks of ram will run at the lowest speed in the config, so you're not gaining anything performance wise except for a...

Lutfij

Titan

The answer is do NOT mix and match sticks of ram. You're only going to end up with either grey hair or no hair on your head since you pulled them all off due to frustration. If you're looking at a ram upgrade, always look at the like you when buying a pair of shoes at the shoe shop. If you loose a shoe from your current pair, will you be able to buy one shoe, from the shop even if you have the same shoes on display? The answer there is no, you will need to buy a pair.

Either pick an all Team Group load out of a Corsair loadout, not mixing and matching. If you do mix and match, all sticks of ram will run at the lowest speed in the config, so you're not gaining anything performance wise except for a total of of maybe 8GB but that's assuming that your platform won't give you an error and you don't face hiccups well into the OS install.

Reactions: CL7777

Either pick an all Team Group load out of a Corsair loadout, not mixing and matching. If you do mix and match, all sticks of ram will run at the lowest speed in the config, so you're not gaining anything performance wise except for a total of of maybe 8GB but that's assuming that your platform won't give you an error and you don't face hiccups well into the OS install.
This is wrong when it comes to ddr2, which is a lot more forgiving than DDR3/4.

The timing will slow down to 5-5-5-18 for all modules and I would experiment with what banking produces the fastest memory benchmarks and that's the configuration you want.

Reactions: CL7777
Solution