[SOLVED] Mixed crucial rams, shall I upgrade?

dhal277

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
I have a some green crucial ram 8gb 2400mhz from my old Intel build. I bought a crucial ballistix elite 2666 Mhz stick and I planned to buy one more later, but 2-3 months later I couldn't find any. The Ballistix one downclocks itself so they are working in dual channel, but I know that mixing rams is not a good idea.

I've started to overclock them, they are working together but I'm a bit afraid due the green one has no heatsink and xmp profile. Now it's running on 2933 Mhz CL18

Shall I replace the green one with some other crucial ballistix (non elite) ram? or get a complete new pair of ram?

Solution
Hey there,

Well as long as it's running stable, then you don't really need to buy any more. With that said, a generic DIMM like the 8gb 2400mhz one you have, will require prob 1.35v to run at 2933. After a while you will degrade the DIMM from running too much voltage for an extended period of time. They could last you a couple of years at the OC setting. You just don't know.

You could try testing both DIMMS at 2933mhz using memtest86, and if they pass, then I wouldn't change anything for now.
Hey there,

Well as long as it's running stable, then you don't really need to buy any more. With that said, a generic DIMM like the 8gb 2400mhz one you have, will require prob 1.35v to run at 2933. After a while you will degrade the DIMM from running too much voltage for an extended period of time. They could last you a couple of years at the OC setting. You just don't know.

You could try testing both DIMMS at 2933mhz using memtest86, and if they pass, then I wouldn't change anything for now.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

dhal277

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Hey there,

I also have a hyperx 2133 ram, shall I try with that as well? What is the best way to run memory test?

thank you