Mixed Reactions From Major Tech Companies On Apple’s Backdoor Fight With FBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

fractal123

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
"The request included having Apple send a malicious update in the form of a custom operating system image with removed security protections to that phone. ..."

This is why anyone who cares about privacy, security, or governmental overreach should NOT use Windows 10, which will force updates to your computer whether you want to install them or not.

Linux here I come.

toddybody

Distinguished
How is/was the FBI request a defacto requirement to build in encryption backdoors for the feds?

From what I've read, it seemed like a normal legal order to assist (especially since we're talking about a phone that's 2 years old). I'm 100% for privacy rights, but tbh Cook/Apple is really more committed to global sales (i.e., global markets dont want HW/SW that's built to provide a government whole hog security circumvention) than user privacy. Where was my (and millions of others) privacy when Apple was performing geo trending of users a few years back without their knowledge/consent?

Ehhhh, I'm obviously missing something.

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
How is/was the FBI request a defacto requirement to build in encryption backdoors for the feds?

From what I've read, it seemed like a normal legal order to assist (especially since we're talking about a phone that's 2 years old). I'm 100% for privacy rights, but tbh Cook/Apple is really more committed to global sales (i.e., global markets dont want HW/SW that's built to provide a government whole hog security circumvention) than user privacy. Where was my (and millions of others) privacy when Apple was performing geo trending of users a few years back without their knowledge/consent?

Ehhhh, I'm obviously missing something.

Apple would have to build a 'tool' (special OS version) that allows anyone (Apple, or the Feds to begin with) to circumvent one of the security features (wipe device after failed passcode attempts) that Apple specifically designed into their products to help protect end-user (consumer) data. Up to you whether you want to call that a back door or not.

The main point is that once such a tool exists, it will be very hard to keep it out of the 'wrong' hands. Some local jurisdictions have already piped up saying "Hey, we could really use something like that in some of our own investigations." You potentially expose hundred of millions of users of iDevices to malicious access to their private information.

Is there a marketing side to the issue? Sure. Would you buy a mobile device you know to be inherently crackable?

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
It does not matter how good the intentions are, there is too much risk of abuse and for this to fall into the hands of people who would use it to harm innocent people. The same reason why banning encryption is suicidal.

xHDx

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
How stupid can politions be?

So, they want to further protect the security of devices and the US by making an exploit and then announcing it for everyone to see. The outcome is pretty simple:

1. A backdoor will be created for said products.
2. The backdoor will be found out eventually and customer details released. Then what?

Instead of the apps being non-encryption capable, like they're trying to enforce. Why not just forward details needed locally to the FBI or CIA instead of having it view live. All they do is filter it to find information. What's gonna change if they do it with a slight delay with no risk of customer information being released.

Without the 10 incorrect "guesses" wipe feature, a numeric 4 digit pass-code on the iphone is useless and can be cracked in [strike]a fraction of a second[/strike] very short amount of time, by most computers. There are only 10,000 possible combinations, which is a remarkably low number in the encryption\decryption world.

Is the FBI also asking banks to remove the "eat my debit card" feature on ATMs for incorrect guesses? Slippery slope here...... very slippery slope.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
The bigger issue here is "Precedent" that would be created if apple gives in, meaning if the FBI wants access to ANY other device on the grounds of "Terrorism!" (If you note, every country right now is attacking it's own citizens rights on that bases).
The judge would less likely to question the request, or if they did the FBI has this case to point out for grounds.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Without the 10 incorrect "guesses" wipe feature, a numeric 4 digit pass-code on the iphone is useless and can be cracked in [strike]a fraction of a second[/strike] very short amount of time, by most computers. There are only 10,000 possible combinations, which is a remarkably low number in the encryption\decryption world.

Is the FBI also asking banks to remove the "eat my debit card" feature on ATMs for incorrect guesses? Slippery slope here...... very slippery slope.

At 80ms per guess, (the hardware is set to only accept 80ms between guess') it'll take the FBI this long:
4 digit PIN - 13.3 minutes
6 digit PIN - 22.2 hours
6 letter password - 300+ years

panders4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
The point is moot. Apple cannot be compelled to create a new firmware by court order. The court can subpoena records, but forcing them to create something like a new firmware is illegal and akin to slavery.

FTFY

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

if we are just talking about computers, then even my old as dirt computer could do something like 100k to 10 million guesses a second, i know there was a program that did random hashtags to find a message and that programs could crunch insane numbers.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
It would be epic if the Grand PuBahs of Apple and Google went on public record calling the Director of the FBI a colossal moron for running such a lazy ass agency.

You don't do data forensics on the original source. You clone the source then do you work on the clone. The FBI is lazy, stupid, trying to circumvent The Constitution or a mixture of all three. Either way they need to pound sand.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I dont see why the FBI cant bring the phone to an Apple office and have them do whatever is needed to unlock it or disable the security features.

No need for Apple (or anyone) to build in a back door into their product that will be exploitable.
Then other companies can follow the same pattern:
FBI wants access to a phone
FBI brings phone to "company"
"company" unlocks the phone
FBI gets their data

If I may lift from another website's article to shed light on your over-simplification...

"The FBI is asking Apple to lift security restrictions that prevent investigators from trying unlimited PIN codes to crack into the phone. Apple says that would mean writing a whole new operating system that would then be in danger of being tweaked to crack into other phones, via other government requests or by hackers."

What you outlined is not what the FBI is apparently asking for. It isn't about getting into this phone. It is about using this incident to get into any phone, from here on.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
This just sounded like a big load of FUD and Apple propaganda to me. Guess what, the Pentagon is also a customer of Apple and their phones. Apple even have a specific number which US government employees can call to get their contracted discounts.....
I think the writer is busy jumping to conclusions. I guess you're also one of the guys who counts muslims who don't condemn every terror attack ISIS and Al Qaeda does as terrorist lovers themselves?

jayracer7474

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Biggest thing I took away from this is...look at how Apple a Private company is willing to fight for the privacy and security of its CUSTOMERS and how the Federal government doesn't even consider the privacy of its CITIZENS to be of any concern. Disturbing that they'd be willing to throw the 4th and 5th amendment out essentially.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

FTFY
FTFTFY

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
They removed the easiest option to stop updates to windows 10 from the control panel. But the traditional expert way is easy to do. Type "services" in the start menu, and then select "windows update" service and click properties-->startup type-->disabled

All these people reporting you can't disable updates in windows 10 are mistaken.

blackbeard34

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
If I remember correctly - just as an example the terrorist attacks that happened in France had communication activities that were mostly out in the open on on secure lines of communication. Yet they were talking about banning encryption and all kinds of crazy crap. Stupid, stupid, stupid. If you are going to buy house and someone says 'I'll go ahead and make an extra key for the police so they can 'tuck' you in at night' - wth would you say? People have no idea what they are in for; nor do they understand how technology they take for granted works.

xHDx

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
They removed the easiest option to stop updates to windows 10 from the control panel. But the traditional expert way is easy to do. Type "services" in the start menu, and then select "windows update" service and click properties-->startup type-->disabled

That's very true. It's just many would rther jmp on the bandwagon cos they can't be arsed to check. I guarantee you could disable critical services in there and 95% wouldn't even know Services was there.
All these people reporting you can't disable updates in windows 10 are mistaken.

TY!

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

If I see a YW, somebody's getting hurt. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.