[SOLVED] Mixed Resolution Displays Question

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
I have a feeling this is a common question, but maybe you all will indulge me one more time. I have a 1440p and 1080p display. The 1440p is connected to the PC's graphic card (RTX 2070). I would like to connect the 1080p display to either the card or the iGPU (i5-9600K). Would the displays run at their native resolutions? One at 1080p, one at 1440p? I don't want to move the display and run the cabling if this isn't going to work.

Solution
Yes. I'm currently looking at a 1440p 144Hz VRR monitor, and a 1080p 60Hz fixed refresh monitor (both connected to dGPU). Windows 10 also allows you to set dpi scaling separately on each monitor in case the ppi of each monitor isn't the same (adjusting the dpi separately allows objects/text to appear the same physical size on each monitor).
Yes. I'm currently looking at a 1440p 144Hz VRR monitor, and a 1080p 60Hz fixed refresh monitor (both connected to dGPU). Windows 10 also allows you to set dpi scaling separately on each monitor in case the ppi of each monitor isn't the same (adjusting the dpi separately allows objects/text to appear the same physical size on each monitor).

Solution

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Excellent to hear. Thank you. Actually, I would prefer to use the iGPU for the 1080p display if possible. Would everything you said work the same way doing that?
Btw, you're getting a bit deep in the weeds for me when you refer to DPI (dots per inch?) and PPI (pixels per inch?). They're not the same thing? I didn't even know that was something to take into consideration. Can you tell me where in Win (Home) I would find that setting?

Yeah, DPI = PPI technically. I use PPI to refer to the pixel density of the monitor and DPI to refer to the Windows Scaling setting. To find that, right click anywhere on your open desktop, select display settings, then scroll down to "Size and Layout", "Change the size of text, apps, and other items". You set the scaling % to whatever display is shown/selected at the top of that window.