[SOLVED] mixer for shure xlr mic

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
Trying to figure which mixer I should get for this mic https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SM7B-C...1-1-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081&th=1 I don't know if I even need a mixer or if theres a simple adapter that I could get for instead. This mic will mainly be used for streaming. I currently have a kingston hyperx mic its the 2019 version I believe and it has served me well but I feel its time to finally upgrade. So I'm just looking for some recommendations on mixers my budget is about $100 but cheaper would 100% be okay. I mostly just need something so I can adjust the mic volume nothing too crazy.

Solution
The short answer is, get an audio interface. Presonus and M-Audio have a few options below $100 that are OK for what they cost, if you can afford to step up to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or MOTU M2, I consider it to be worthwhile. You may want an external mic pre for the SM7, since it really doesn't have a very hot output. The Klark Teknik CT-1 is "acceptable" for what it costs.

Inexpensive mixers (and anything new in this price range is definitely that) tend to be a nightmare. Mixing consoles are expensive to build- there are a lot of pots and switches. Good pots and switches are expensive, and cheap ones are unreliable. You have a lot of functions to do, and not a lot of money to do it, so you end up with a lot of serious compromises...

chetmaster12

Honorable
Jan 19, 2015
The short answer is, get an audio interface. Presonus and M-Audio have a few options below $100 that are OK for what they cost, if you can afford to step up to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or MOTU M2, I consider it to be worthwhile. You may want an external mic pre for the SM7, since it really doesn't have a very hot output. The Klark Teknik CT-1 is "acceptable" for what it costs.

Inexpensive mixers (and anything new in this price range is definitely that) tend to be a nightmare. Mixing consoles are expensive to build- there are a lot of pots and switches. Good pots and switches are expensive, and cheap ones are unreliable. You have a lot of functions to do, and not a lot of money to do it, so you end up with a lot of serious compromises. That means lousy microphone preamps, lousy A/D converters, lousy summing amplifiers, and an atrocious EQ section.

Furthermore, most people really have no idea how to use an equalizer (EQ), and they end up making themselves sound a whole lot worse, not better.

Really good analog mixers often cost about $2,000 - $3,000 per channel, sometimes more. There are "OK" mixers, like the APB Dynasonics Pro Rack (similar to the Crest XR20), which end up costing about $250 per channel. I have a Crest XR20 that I use in my shop sometimes, and it's not half-bad, but the cost-cutting measures are obvious to anyone who has worked on one. You're looking at a whole mixer (albeit a small one) for less than the cost of a single XR20 channel. You don't want that.

Solution