[SOLVED] Mixing 1.5v and 1.35v ram modules

• Thread starter Deleted member 2849646
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2849646

Hello,

i’d like to upgrade one of my ram modules to 8gb. I have two pc3l 1600 udimm modules in there at the moment. I want to recycle the low voltage 1.35v ram and put it into my dad’s pc which uses ddr3 pc3 1600 udimm modules. I.e. same except his pc uses 1.5V. I fead somewhere that this is possible and the 1.35V module will work at 1.5V, but I don’t really know if the low voltage ram modules have to be explicitly engineered/listed as “1.5V compatible”, or do all 1.35V ram modules work at 1.5V regardless?
thanks!

Solution
Hello,

i’d like to upgrade one of my ram modules to 8gb. I have two pc3l 1600 udimm modules in there at the moment. I want to recycle the low voltage 1.35v ram and put it into my dad’s pc which uses ddr3 pc3 1600 udimm modules. I.e. same except his pc uses 1.5V. I fead somewhere that this is possible and the 1.35V module will work at 1.5V, but I don’t really know if the low voltage ram modules have to be explicitly engineered/listed as “1.5V compatible”, or do all 1.35V ram modules work at 1.5V regardless?
thanks!
All DDR3L 1.35V modules must also work at 1.5V--it's part of the DDR3L spec:
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000132438/what-is-ddr3l-memory

Lutfij

Titan
Please don't mix and match sticks of ram even if they fit into the ram slot. It's best if you could parse the specs to your build. In your case, you should list the specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

If you're not sure about the sticks of ram, you can pass on images of the sticks and perhaps links to the ram.

Hello,

thanks!
All DDR3L 1.35V modules must also work at 1.5V--it's part of the DDR3L spec:
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000132438/what-is-ddr3l-memory

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
And even if the voltages are not the problem, even sticks of the exact same model, made on the same day, and sold together on the same shelf, won't always work together without being tested together. These are likely two very different RAM sticks.

And even if the voltages are not the problem, even sticks of the exact same model, made on the same day, and sold together on the same shelf, won't always work together without being tested together. These are likely two very different RAM sticks.
This was much less a problem back in the ddr3 days. I've only run into true incompatibility problems a handful of times (most of the times one of the modules was actually bad).