[SOLVED] Mixing 1080 and 1440

Jun 20, 2021
I recently got a new 27inch 1440p monitor, and I have a 24inch 1080p monitor. I'm trying to connect both to my Yoga C940 laptop via a USB C thunderbolt 3 hub. If I connect only the 1440, I can run it at it's native resolution. As soon as I connect my 1080p monitor, it shifts the 1440 down to 1080 and windows display settings does not allow me to change it back to 1440.

Anyone have any advice on how to correct this?

For reference, This is the USB Hub I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BHVJQHB/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza which is supposed to support up to dual 4k, so a 1440+1080 shouldn't be an issue I'd think.

Solution
The Intel 10th gen graphics should support up to three displays at 4K @60hz. So, that isn't the issue.

As far as I can tell. In general Lenovo Laptops supports MST over Thunderbolt with 4K@60Hz supported. Although I couldn't find specific mention of the C940. I don't think that is an issue.

Try going into Advaned display setting. Select your monitor under Choose display. Click Display adapter properties for Display X. Then List All Modes. Then try to select the correct resolution.

Otherwise, I'd say update to the latest graphics drivers and see if that helps. If it doesn't. Return it and try an official Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock.
The Intel 10th gen graphics should support up to three displays at 4K @60hz. So, that isn't the issue.

As far as I can tell. In general Lenovo Laptops supports MST over Thunderbolt with 4K@60Hz supported. Although I couldn't find specific mention of the C940. I don't think that is an issue.

Try going into Advaned display setting. Select your monitor under Choose display. Click Display adapter properties for Display X. Then List All Modes. Then try to select the correct resolution.

Otherwise, I'd say update to the latest graphics drivers and see if that helps. If it doesn't. Return it and try an official Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock.

Solution
Jun 20, 2021
Thanks for the help, I reached out to the vendor on that hub and apparently when you connect multiple monitors through it, they will be limited to the lowest resolution monitor. That would be some nice info to have on their product page lol.

Any suggestion on docks that don't cost $200 +?

Thanks for the help, I reached out to the vendor on that hub and apparently when you connect multiple monitors through it, they will be limited to the lowest resolution monitor. That would be some nice info to have on their product page lol.

Any suggestion on docks that don't cost $200 +?

A used Lenovo USB C dock (not thunderbolt) is just about $100 https://www.ebay.com/p/11033918307?thm=3000 and supports different resolutions. I am using one and just tried it, one screen at 1080 other was at 1200.

Reactions: Marpajr