Mixing 2 different memories for a dual channel

Aug 10, 2018
Hello everyone, last week i ran into an issue with my computer. I overclocked my CPU so i could play overwatch, but when i tried it out my CPU performed very worse than i expected.

I created a thread in the forum and someone told me my RAM was strange. I was using 5GB RAM (2x2 and 1x1), not knowing that my old motherboard (Asus Striker II Formula (DDR2)) couldn´t work on dual channel and single channel at the same time, so i tested with only the 4gb (2x2) and got amazing results, my performance got about 50% better, but overwatch eats too much RAM and 4gb makes the game take too much time to load, the characters only start appearing after 2 mins of game and i get some pretty hard stutterings.

So, i wonder, can i use the other 1gb combined with a 2gb stick to get 7Gb memory and still work at dual channel? Even if these two get much slower than they should, as long as i get one dual channel the game probably will work pretty well.

The only fear i have is that for some reason my motherboard handles the situtation by running 4 Single channels, which would get me back to the initial problem.

Sorry about the long text and for any english mistakes i may have done, thank you all.

My PC: Intel Quad 2 Core Q9400 2.66Ghz @ 3.3Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 (2x2), 500w Power Supply, GTX 650, Asus Striker II Formula.

Aug 10, 2018

Yeah, you are absolutely right, i just tested it.
My RAM problems stop, but the performance gets from 65~ fps to 25~
The difference between single and dual channel is very big, i wish there was a way to get it to work...