Question Mixing 2 different RAM kits?

dolev_levy

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
Hey everyone!
I recently built myself a small NAS system and i've put inside it 8GB of HyperX fury ram. (for those who would like to know the exact model: HyperX FURY Black 8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL18)

Inside my current pc which i built 3 years ago, i have 2X8 kit of HyperX ram (exact model again: HyperX FURY Black 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 kit)

Now i am planning to get ECC Ram for the NAS system just for better preformance,(many reccomend ECC ram for those kind of stuff) and i am wondering if it's possible to put the other ram stick from that system inside my PC and have a total of 24GB of ram.
In theory, i know it's possible to actually put the ram stick in though will it cause any downgrade in the preformance or mess some things up?
thanks for helping!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Mixing RAM is a gamble. It might work or not. It might result in instability or even malfunction. That's why they're sold as kits, the modules are tested and guaranteed to run together in the form they're sold.

Test your regular RAM with memtest86+, if no errors use them. ECC for storage is recommended when highly valued data is at stake like large servers and businesses. I'd say for personal use as long as it has no errors it'd be fine.

dolev_levy

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
I wouldn't do it, unless you don't care about speed and desperately need extra memory.
that was my main problem. the speed, i am not really into ram and one of my main concerns was that the speeds between the kits would fuck up and create a big mess resulting in a big disatvantage then an advantage.
about extra memory, chrome is the main dude here who sucks all of my memory. but we all face it, not just me. other than that extra memory is always a good thing and if i have the option for it then why not but again, if it will mess up some things, i'd rather save those $100 for something else for my NAS build \ PC