Question mixing 8gb and 4gb rams of diffrent brands

agent_13

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
so I have a silicon power ddr3 8gb ram on my asus h97 plus motherboard, while i'm 100% okay in games, i've been recently running out of ram and having trouble while using programs like android studio and 3ds max. so i have to upgrade.
The same model of the ram i currently have isn't available where i live anymore so i have no choice but buying a different brand. and i don't have enough money to buy a new 16gb kit.

the rams (kingstone 4gb and 8gb) i have chose to buy have the same generation (ddr3), same speed(1600), same timing(11 11 11 11 28), same voltage(1.5) and same CL (11) as my ram has

so i have two options here:
  • buy a 4gb ram of same specs but different brand (due to my low budget)
  • pay double and buy a 8gb ram of same specs but different brand
I'm pretty sure 12gbs will be quite enough for me, does it worth to pay more than double the price and buy another 8gb ram? which might have compability issues due to different model?

• buy a 4gb ram of same specs but different brand (due to my low budget)
  • pay double and buy a 8gb ram of same specs but different brand
Both choices have no guarantee to work together or any guarantee how they work together if you can boot up the PC. You can do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold.

Use of memory that has never been tested together before might work or might not be compatible together.

Reactions: agent_13